PDA

View Full Version : messa ta 15 and ta 30

helliott
January 15th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Anyone have experience with either of these? Looking for a backup to the Lonestar. So I already know I like the Mesa sound, which not everyone does I know. Anyone tried these, either or? TA 30 has a loop and reverb and more wattage, which I don't really need, and the TA 15 has all the same stuff minus effects loop and verb. Any thoughts?

piebaldpython
January 15th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I think DVM had a TA 15 IIRC. You might want to shoot him a PM. TA's are well regarded. My guess is you won't need the Fx loop because I don't think you use time-based Fx other than reverb, right?

You might want to check out the Frenzel tube amp thread that I posted today. They have excellent heads of all different types that I am sure at least 1 would be perfect for you.

Monkus
January 19th, 2014, 10:58 PM
I gots the one from DVM .. and I love it.. will answer in more detail tmrw.

Twas late last night and wanted to give you the answer this amp deserves. When I got this amp, I was searching tonewise, and wanted to play what I was hearing in my head. I'm much, much closer because of the TA-15.

Its an amazing amp, three power modes, 5, 15 and 25 watts, three amp styles, Vox Clean and Top Boost on one section, Fender, Marshall and Boogie on the other. A cut switch that works like the cut on a Vox AC30, reverse and eminently usable on a pull switch that doubles as a master volume for channel 1. No Mid eq, just Bass and Treble, but strangely, I don't miss it (yet). No effects loop or reverb. A Strat through the Tweed setting on CH2 is divine (humbuckers sound great too...), the Marshall setting on HI1 is tighter than you would expect from a JVM Marshall head and the HI2 (Boogie) seems softer than what Mesa is known for. This won't get you into Godsmack territory without a pedal. Having said that though, it responds to picking dynamics and guitar volume control, sweet, melodic and very organic. Its like having 3-4 amps in one hand held tone dream. Small to medium clubs, this amp parties all night.

I built a 1x12 thiele cabinet for it, you can get details here (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/18735-Building-a-1x12-Thiele-Small-guitar-cabinet?highlight=Monkus). (Please forgive the wire animals...)

Alone, this amp sounds awesome. Add your favorite pedals and you're in a whole new dimension.

I designed my pedal board on this amp, and it sounds really close to what I want. Its a great amp to take to the studio, since there's so many tones in this box. Did I mention the awesome blue glow? Its impressive on a dark stage. I've played Maiden to RATM to Mayer to Journey on this, all with compliments on the tone. The other guitarist in the band stepped up his game because of this amp.

The best reason I got this was to avoid lugging a 2x12 box around. Guitar like a backpack, amp on the shoulder, cab in hand, pedalboard in the other...one trip.

Need an effects loop and reverb? Go TA-30. Small, powerful and great sound? TA-15. Hope this helps.

helliott
January 20th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Very helpful, thanks. Don't really need the loop, do like reverb a lot, but have some decent digital verb that will do in a pinch. Can't see spending an extra $500 just for those features when the TA-30 sound is the same as the TA-15 other than that. Appreciate the time.

Monkus
January 20th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Np, hope it helps with your decision. I use the T-Rex Tonebug reverb on the pedalboard, works fine for me. The TA30 also comes in a 1x12 combo. All said, I'm really happy with my TA-15.