PDA

View Full Version : How many times around the post?

tot_Ou_tard
January 2nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
What are your opinions for the number of wraps around the post for tuning stability?

Hogfullofblues
January 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
According to this, the less times around the better.

http://www.kinman.com/html/toneWorkshop/perfectGuitar.htm#stayingInTune

I am clueless since I have yet to replace a string!

Ro3b
January 5th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Once is enough for me. On unwound strings, I wrap the end of the string back around the post and hook it around itself before I start tuning it up to pitch.

tot_Ou_tard
January 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the link Hog. Nice.

Ro3b, when I first replaced my strings, I wound those suckers around and around and around. The next time, I just went around a time or two.

There have been so many different variables, type of string, gauge etc that I wasn't able to get a good fix on which was better. What if it only goes halfway around?

Tinky-Winky
January 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I definitely think that the fewer winds the more stable the tuning.

Tone2TheBone
January 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM
On a guitar that you expect to be taking off the pickguard for whatever reasons (ie. Strats etc.) winding only once on the post will usually result in broken strings if you need to loosen them a little to get the pickguard off and then retuning them back to pitch. This usually will occur on the high B and E strings. Normal people don't usually have to worry about this. Unusual people that change pickguards out or pickups out constantly do. Just sayin'...... :)

Big_Rob
January 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM
2-4 times on unwound and 2-3 times on wound

ShortBuSX
January 16th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I dont normally pay much attention to how many times my strings are wound around...BUT when I install the low e string, I cut it off at the 3rd machine head, then thread it through the e tuner, I pass the string over one time and then under thereafter...Ive heard this refered to as "the knot", but Im just recently picking up on this technique, been doing it for a couple of months now, and I dont have all the string issues I used to...and I wouldnt say I have tuning issues either.

bluesbreaker
January 25th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I usually go 2, maybe 3 if I didn't measure well. I haven't had any tuning issues, but that is more likely due to my blocked trem than the string winds.