PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy music?

sunvalleylaw
March 20th, 2014, 03:27 PM
All four plus direct from artists regularly. Absolutely directly if possible, CDBaby or whatever way they prefer if that works better. I like actual CD's for a lot of music still. For downloading, I have migrated slowly toward using AmazonMP3 more than iTunes due to cost. Or even more often, if it is not a local or direct buy artist, I order the CD via Amazon Prime, and get the free download with it until the CD gets here.

I edited my vote to select all of the options, as detailed in my verbal response herein. (lawyer speak. I have been drafting wills).

Robert
March 20th, 2014, 04:49 PM
I buy digital music from iTunes, or physical CD's via Amazon or in a store.

For me, it's probably 70% via iTunes, 10% via Amazon and 20% from artists, direct, or from a physical store or other source. I've used abstractlogix.com a few times.

How about you?

[I recreated this thread to allow for multiple answers.]

zeusse
March 21st, 2014, 11:33 AM
Still old school and I rummage for vinyl at some small shops here in town...my album collection will never be finished

tjcurtin1
March 22nd, 2014, 07:09 PM
You can tell that we are old with that high incidence of cd buying :messedup: There's not a young person I know who buys - or even owns any - cd's. They're dinosaur items (even tho I use them exclusively - I have no MP3 or other compressed formats.)

sunvalleylaw
March 24th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Just to be clear, I am not the thread starter. Robert started and then re-created the thread to change the poll. Neil Young is in the news with his Ponos thing again. It is a different player that is supposed to be better sound with less loss from compression, etc. it will be interesting to see if it actually comes to market as an option. Meanwhile, I will add to my answer that I buy some vinyl too, as I did from Brian Krashpad recently, and occasional others.

Robert
March 24th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Yeah maybe it was a bad idea to make the poll multiple answers...? I just thought it would be interesting to see what source most people use when buying music. If everyone selects all options, then it may not be as interesting to see the results... although it's the most true answer!

sunvalleylaw
March 24th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Yeah maybe it was a bad idea to make the poll multiple answers...? I just thought it would be interesting to see what source most people use when buying music. If everyone selects all options, then it may not be as interesting to see the results... although it's the most true answer!
In my case it is. But I think there is nothing un-interesting about that. I think a lot of others might purchase differently.

Brian Krashpad
March 26th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Meanwhile, I will add to my answer that I buy some vinyl too, as I did from Brian Krashpad recently, and occasional others.

Thanks again for that Steve!

I have cut way down on my music buying. Almost all of it is local stuff directly from bands at shows. Sometimes I'll just go on Spotify and listen to that. And I borrow CDs from the public library.

I don't really do the digital download thing. I still have CDs and vinyl. Hell, I still have cassettes.

piebaldpython
March 26th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Nothing to worry about there, Krash. Now, if you said you still have 8-track tapes....well, then you might have to be committed. lol

Brian Krashpad
March 27th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Nothing to worry about there, Krash. Now, if you said you still have 8-track tapes....well, then you might have to be committed. lol

Haha, true dat! Although I lived through the 8-track time period I never had the tapes or a player. I did have an all-in-one am/fm radio and record player unit that had previously had an 8-track in it. But it was a repo I got for cheap because the owner had yanked the 8-track player out before it was repossessed. It's actually still out in the garage at Casa Krashpad. :AOK

sunvalleylaw
March 27th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks again for that Steve!

No thank you! Fun stuff!