PDA

View Full Version : Gaming - A new Adventure

Tim
January 2nd, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hello all Fretters - It is good to be back after being gone for a week. Christmas was wonderful for all at our house. I hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year. I stayed sober for the 5th year now, but did share some champagne.

One thing I did get accomplished was connecting a wireless system to my computer and now the wife’s computer is also hooked up to the Internet.

Now for a question for all you gammers. I looking for an easy start up game that the wife and I can play on our two computers. Neither one of us have played any games before (including Play Station or the like). She is not into blood and guts, but we are interest in interaction games. I think wireless may be a little slow, so I can go LAN line between the two computers if needed.

Can any Fretters provide suggestions? Both computers are Windows base machines. I have no idea what I am getting into, but understand it can become addictive. Is there such a thing as Gaming Gas?

Justaguyin_nc
January 2nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
Is there such a thing as Gaming Gas?

Oh Yes... Game Fever has fallen on many over the years.. Playing Online is a great feeling.. But for me it's mostly blood and guts games. FPS games such as the Rainbow Six (My personal Favorite) series, Quake, Doom, Half-life, Unreal, Call of Duty, The FREE America's Army (excellent) etc etc all have gore attached to them. You have planet type conquering games such as Age of Empires, Command and Conquer, Populous, Tribes etc etc. which although not as much gore as the F.ront P.erson S.hooter, still has Violence attached to get to your objective.

There are games though, that you can get into that are very creative yet less violent .. Civilization Series.. I think Civ 3 is the latest? Allows you to create a world of Diplomacy if thats the path you take. Very addictive and attractive. You could also try the SIM people games and create cities of people you can name and care for. There are Onilne-LAN games for Car Racing and Plane Travel-Battle.. Also the option of online or LAN games of sports.. Bowling, Billards, Tennis, Football etc etc are available...

There are still options, but these cut down alot once you take out Violence and blood and guts type games which seem to dominate...

Sometimes, Although Violent as the games may seem, even Ladies will have a side of them that gets into these games...Sometimes picking a game you may not think to be as good as others. I knew one gal that you would never think was a gamer.. yet we use to play Delta Force for days online... than she would go back to being the woman to clean house and smile alot..:)

Depending on the game... and how competitive you really are, Wireless can work fine but HardWired leaves less of a fault to connection time.. In a fighting game you will eventually swear the wireless is the reason you died..:)

Have fun finding a game you both will enjoy.. check back in a few months once the addictive feeling starts to fall...

Myles
January 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM
"The Sims" series has always been a great one. I've found that it seems to appeal to woman as well. There is an online version, but I have no experience with it, but I assure you the regular offline version that you play by yourself is quite entertaining and addictive.

warren0728
January 2nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
try runescape...it is an interactive game that my kids play and patty is hooked on too! They are all 3 online sometimes trading and helping each other out.

http://www.runescape.com/

ww

SuperSwede
January 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
I have wireless networking at home, and I have never had any problems with lag (delay) during multiplayer game sessions.
There are a lot of different online games out there, as Justa already said, but the majority of them are rather fast paced so I would recommend that you start out by playing some offline games first. The Sim City games have a relaxed tempo, and are really fun (who wouldnt like to be the mayor once in a while!). And just as Vitalmyles said, The Sims are a game that appeals to female gamers (and many male gamers too). Once you get online though, you will get hooked (prepare to spend a large amount of guitar-time! :D )

warren0728
January 2nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
runescape is pretty slow moving....i have not played it myself but hear about it all the time via patty and the kids.

we are all on wireless and they have no problems...kids play on their pcs and patty uses her apple...

ww

marnold
January 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
If you are Star Wars fans, any of the "Lego" games would work. We've got them for the PS2. The co-op play is very fun.

Tim
January 3rd, 2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys for the suggested games. I need to do some research on which one would be the best to start out on, and keep our interest peaked.

Justa - I told my wife your story about the gale who played Delta Force and enjoying kicking butt. I got an inquistive look back at me.

Justaguyin_nc
January 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM
With the talk of games, I been off building my Kingdom.. I told you games are addicting... I went searching out what online FREE (keeping with the cheapness of thefret.net ;) ) games are available.. http://games.swirve.com/utopia/ Utopia is addicting if you like to read and build kingdoms.. just thought I would throw this one up here for those that sit behind computers all day looking dor something else to add to their web travels. It's a learning curve and I am in definate learning mode..