PDA

View Full Version : How to revive this place

Robert
May 21st, 2014, 10:38 AM
Hey guys, it's sad that this place is not more active. It used to be!

Tell me your thoughts.

Suggestions for making it more fun and interesting?

How to draw in more members, and how to make current members more active?

I'd love to hear some input. :)

helliott
May 23rd, 2014, 02:35 PM
Guess it's a personal preference thing, plus people being busy and having limited time. For me it was more interesting and sticky when more people posted their music, either their personal recordings with backers or recordings of their performances or just noodling. I have all the gear I need and don't do my own mods, so that part of it doesn't move me much. It's more about musical interaction. The days when one person would start something on a backer and others would add their interpretation were good times. But granted, that requires some time and energy.

Good that you're asking these questions. Hopefully others will chime in.

Eric
May 26th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Honestly Robert, I think a lot of it has to do with your personal involvement. Since you have gotten more invested with your pro lessons, this forum has died. IMO, it's not a coincidence. People have found other forums to frequent that feed the dog in whatever their specific leaning was, but I think they would wander back if the brain trust was there. Hopefully you find some more time to be involved here -- it's a good forum and I miss the activity.

Robert
May 27th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I sure hope that's not the case, Eric. When I did post a lot of lessons the last year or so, I rarely got any responses, so I didn't feel I should keep that going. Also, I don't buy much gear anymore, so I don't have so much gear talk to contribute with.

I was thinking people are more interested in gear talk than lessons, but there aren't many posts about anything anymore.

The 2 things that may be key are, 1) gear purchases - as long as we keep buying stuff and talking about it, people participate. And 2), if there are enough people posting backing tracks and their playing and perhaps also some lesson tips to go along with that, people might get active.

The problem is for me, that I don't have much time for either. Running a forum by participating in most threads every day takes time that I no longer have.

Perhaps there is a critical mass issue - if we get enough ongoing posts, perhaps things will change. As it is now, there aren't many new threads per week, and that just ain't gonna cut it!

I am just the admin guy...

Are there any other things I should try on this forum?

Eric
May 27th, 2014, 09:47 AM
I sure hope that's not the case, Eric. When I did post a lot of lessons the last year or so, I rarely got any responses, so I didn't feel I should keep that going. Also, I don't buy much gear anymore, so I don't have so much gear talk to contribute with.

I was thinking people are more interested in gear talk than lessons, but there aren't many posts about anything anymore.

The 2 things that may be key are, 1) gear purchases - as long as we keep buying stuff and talking about it, people participate. And 2), if there are enough people posting backing tracks and their playing and perhaps also some lesson tips to go along with that, people might get active.

The problem is for me, that I don't have much time for either. Running a forum by participating in most threads every day takes time that I no longer have.

Perhaps there is a critical mass issue - if we get enough ongoing posts, perhaps things will change. As it is now, there aren't many new threads per week, and that just ain't gonna cut it!

I am just the admin guy...

Are there any other things I should try on this forum?

Well, I think that's the key right there. Just because you don't have the time doesn't mean it isn't an important element of the community, you know? I agree that gear purchases and what not are part of it, but as each person goes their own way and has less of a personal stake in this particular message board, others will do likewise. I guess that's just the ebb and flow of things at times.

Tig
May 27th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Forums can be real money and time eaters that bring in very little business while costing plenty. I see why you need to apply your energy towards what pays the bills.

Forums might help bring in a few customers for lessons, but your Dolphinstreet/MasterGuitarAcademy emails and websites likely work much better. Your past youtube lessons may have helped as well.

I've seen the ebb and flow of various forums and The Fret is no different in that aspect. People's lives and interests also ebb and flow. We haven't seen quite a few past "regulars" post in a long time. What makes or breaks a place is the interaction, frequency and content of member postings. The continued growth of social media like facebook probably impacts forums the hardest.

tjcurtin1
May 27th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Very clearly and concisely put, Tig. I think you put your finger pretty squarely on the situation.

Brian Krashpad
May 28th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I need to post more often in the Weekend thread, and otherwise.

I got my first new job in like 29 years, about a year and a half ago, and in addition to that I kept a couple additional clients that I do occasional side work for. As a result I haven't had as much time for forums, or for that matter, even for my band Crash Pad. Additionally, after hitting the 30 mark on guitars/basses, I'm not really buying gear either.

Tony Trout
May 28th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Forums can be real money and time eaters that bring in very little business while costing plenty. I see why you need to apply your energy towards what pays the bills.

Forums might help bring in a few customers for lessons, but your Dolphinstreet/MasterGuitarAcademy emails and websites likely work much better. Your past youtube lessons may have helped as well.

I've seen the ebb and flow of various forums and The Fret is no different in that aspect. People's lives and interests also ebb and flow. We haven't seen quite a few past "regulars" post in a long time. What makes or breaks a place is the interaction, frequency and content of member postings. The continued growth of social media like facebook probably impacts forums the hardest.

I believe you have found the answer, Tig. Social media, for all it's good and bad, have begun to eat away at forums like these & the TDPRI because there are people creating groups on FB to talk about certain guitar brands or certain singers or bands - and I hate to see that, to be honest. I enjoy posting and belonging to a forum. It's like a "family" to me in that sense. On FB, something like this would have a lot less feeling of being part of a "family." Just my opinion.....

sunvalleylaw
May 28th, 2014, 10:01 AM
What drew me to this place as a newb was two fold: 1) Robert and his expertise and unitimidating demeanor toward those of us starting out in midlife; and 2) the community of guitarists here that ranged from pros to other mid-life hobbyists that felt very comfortable. Our recorded "jams" over backing tracks were fun too and a part of the great encouragement.

The place also had a nice "water cooler" aspect to it. For me, as I became set up with plenty of gear, and as some of the old guard faded away and my own life became busier, my participation wained as well.

Other than re-committing to some things like a recorded jam or some other communal event that draws some folks that still check in back through the door, I don't know what the answer is. Unfortunately, I have too much on my plate to spearhead such an effort, though I would try to participate.

That's all I got. If there is another way i can help I will try.

helliott
May 28th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I'm in the same position with limited time and energy. But I am willing to help if there's consensus, perhaps by doing some BTs with room for other folks to offer their playing and interpretation. Not sure how much update there would be but I'm willing to try at any rate. Wonder if there are enough people into home recording etc to make it worthwhile?

Robert
May 29th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm still around to be helpful, just ask and I'll try to help. I'm sure there are many other members who could contribute with lesson expertise etc, if we got the momentum going.

Duffy
June 5th, 2014, 05:46 PM
A couple people dropping lightly veiled insults has the effect of encouraging you not to come back to the forum. It has happened, believe me. Those negative people that can't contain their personal communication and other social problems, or whatever problems that motivate their attitude, should stay off the forum - and I hope they do.

This place did have a very friendly and family like vibe going on. It just takes a couple negative, insulting responses to your post to destroy that vibe. So if you are a negative person or get off on insulting others, or questioning the value of their motives, stay off the forum and maybe people will feel more at home and comfortable without you.

So, having a plan to stay on top of how people are interacting and reigning in those that might drive away people, could be effective in drawing people back in. I think having a sense of mutual respect in a small forum like this is important. On the other hand, most forums have a couple insolent participants that seem to like to turn people off.

Let's try to make it a positive place where people want to come to and participate.

Robert
June 8th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Hopefully we have mostly positive people left!

I agree - let's stay positive and make this place fun.

Eric
June 9th, 2014, 07:09 PM
A couple people dropping lightly veiled insults has the effect of encouraging you not to come back to the forum. It has happened, believe me. Those negative people that can't contain their personal communication and other social problems, or whatever problems that motivate their attitude, should stay off the forum - and I hope they do.

This place did have a very friendly and family like vibe going on. It just takes a couple negative, insulting responses to your post to destroy that vibe. So if you are a negative person or get off on insulting others, or questioning the value of their motives, stay off the forum and maybe people will feel more at home and comfortable without you.

So, having a plan to stay on top of how people are interacting and reigning in those that might drive away people, could be effective in drawing people back in. I think having a sense of mutual respect in a small forum like this is important. On the other hand, most forums have a couple insolent participants that seem to like to turn people off.

Let's try to make it a positive place where people want to come to and participate.

You know, that's a really good point -- it was definitely a reason why I took a big big break from here. Some people who became bigger presences had very negative and judgmental attitudes. I hadn't actually thought of that until you mentioned it, but it's very relevant.

Robert
June 10th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Nobody wants a crabby, pissy attitude on a forum, so let's not do that! :) (There's always Facebook, or therapy, for that stuff).

Speak to and of others how you would like to be spoken to.

"Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another." (Napoleon Hill)

http://www.mediawebapps.com/upload/1381650967.jpg

Duffy
June 10th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Nobody wants a crabby, pissy attitude on a forum, so let's not do that! :) (There's always Facebook, or therapy, for that stuff).

Speak to and of others how you would like to be spoken to.

"Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another." (Napoleon Hill)

http://www.mediawebapps.com/upload/1381650967.jpg

True.

tjcurtin1
June 10th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I must have missed the crabby, pissy posts..... I've always enjoyed the friendly atmosphere here.

Napoleon Hill? Is that Benny's brother? :poke

Eric
June 10th, 2014, 08:10 PM
I must have missed the crabby, pissy posts..... I've always enjoyed the friendly atmosphere here.

Napoleon Hill? Is that Benny's brother? :poke

For me it was more discrediting, judgmental posts than whiny and negative ones. Kind of like if you didn't agree with the person, you were automatically stupid; it's like they were made for the internet!

Tig
June 11th, 2014, 06:49 AM
For me it was more discrediting, judgmental posts than whiny and negative ones. Kind of like if you didn't agree with the person, you were automatically stupid; it's like they were made for the internet!

Wow, some people! :messedup:

Robert
June 11th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I would view discrediting and judgemental attitudes/posts as something negative and unwanted, but in any case, there are rules for the forum. If anyone is braking them, they get one warning and then they are banned if they continue.

In reality, what one views as negative and judgemental may seem like regular talk to someone else. For example, someone posts a picture of a guitar and another guys says "that pickguard doesn't look right". Some people may get offended by that comment, but it's fine to say, according to the rules. Another may say "the pickguard is ugly", same there. But if someone says "what a stupid choice you made choosing that pickguard", then I view that as a personal attack, and I would give a warning. If these things happen, just let me know.

I think the people were doing most of this stuff that we don't want are no longer active.

Also, I think/hope we can be adults and get along and enjoy the topics discussed.

I for one try to not respond to a thread if I think I can't contribute with something positive or constructive for the group as a whole. For example, I don't like smooth jazz, but if that topic was posted frequently and people enjoy discussing it, I wouldn't keep jumping in and telling everyone how much I hate smooth jazz.

Eric
June 11th, 2014, 09:22 AM
I for one try to not respond to a thread if I think I can't contribute with something positive or constructive for the group as a whole. For example, I don't like smooth jazz, but if that topic was posted frequently and people enjoy discussing it, I wouldn't keep jumping in and telling everyone how much I hate smooth jazz.

That's a good attitude.

ronbo
June 11th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Gotta admit I haven't posted or visited lately, been busy and focused on other things. I will post some new stuff, just bought a new bass and amp, am building a slide-o-caster, got a new Gretsch, bought and sold a couple of Reverends, so I guess some NGD's and pics are in order. I came here initially to research Hell guitars and liked reading Syo's posts...still have my Hell No 2 and love it! I always felt welcomed and never got the insults and snarkiness you get on some of the more popular forums, but like the more neighborly feel around here better. Anyway, glad to see many of you are still around, I'll stop in more often...

Now where did I put that camera...:cool:

Katastrophe
June 12th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Yep, I'm definitely guilty of not posting around here for quite a while as well.

For me, it was a matter of just putting in a ton of hours at work... For most work days over the last year and a half, I've been getting home really late. I just haven't had time to pick up the ol' Strat, much less catch up with what was happening here. Haven't touched my guitar once in that time, and that truly sucks.

I've missed this place, and the friendly atmosphere. The itch to play is stronger than ever, so I'm gonna have to figure out a way to play at night, after everyone goes to bed. That way, I won't feel like a dork who doesn't have anything to contribute.

Jipes
June 19th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Hello dear members and Robert, my two cents are that forums are deserted everywhere I participate quite actively to three of them (other than the Fret) and everywhere it's the same story Facebook and Twitter have eaten up most of the participants. To bounce back on Eric first comment yes indeed the presence of teh Forum administrator an creator play a big role on the dynamic of a discussion forum. As for posting stuff like sound files or videos I realize that most of them (at least the one that I posted) receives generally one or two answers or comments so after a while I guess no ones feel like their stuff would interest the others and stop posting.

In the blues Forum where I am admin we have a virtual studio and try to record together collaborative projects it's not very easy and time eaters but certainly very fun

Robert
June 19th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the comments, I hope we get some new and old members more active, it's really a group effort. I understand if I spent more time posting cool stuff, it might pick up faster. It's just hard for me to find the time.

deeaa
June 23rd, 2014, 11:26 PM
I think it's mostly that people tend to only have the time for a few forums to frequent, or only one.

For me, Facebook and social media don't affect my forum use much if any- I do follow a few fb groups and post there too, but it's completely different. I see FB mostly as a communication tool, not a place to chat and mingle.

For me, it's simply that another very lively forum has eaten up my time. It's a difficult thing to strike a great balance for what works and what doesn't.

I think the initial reasons I was looking for other forums than this were mostly that there was some issue about not being allowed to post a blog if you hadn't contributed or something - that was changed though I think, but the damage was done. I think I contributed even, but it just felt bad to pay to post stuff, especially when there weren't that many commentators on it.

Seems petty now, and I suppose it was a very minor thing back then too, but still enough to spark interest in checking out if there are other places.

Then another thing was, I think, a bit too strict rules to my taste. The other forum allowed more leeway in talking about subjects such as politics or religion and even allowed a little head-butting among members as long as it didn't get out of hand. I guess I just feel like if you can't talk about everything on your mind even if it's just a little, it feels like you're faking it, not being yourself and feels kinda like I felt when I was staying in the states - everything seems policed and watched and forbidden so there is no feeling of freedom, and that's an important feeling for me coming from a free country where I can walk on anybody's lands and not worry about being' trespassing' and hitch-hike and walk the highways without being looked at like a criminal and stopped by every policeman with questions and such.

Well later on the other forum also closed up the religion/politics threads but still overall they don't instantly jump on people having a little heated discussion or such.

I dunno, I sometimes even felt you can't be real friends with somebody before you've bloodied each other's noses at once at least, maybe that is exaggerating but nevertheless. There has to be a certain air of freedom in the air.

Not saying there isn't at the moment, I don't really know not frequently being here, but the other forum is really active and I've met many people there with whom I've recorded songs with, even currently finalizing an EP release with somebody I met there and we will continue making music, not just jams but proper releases even.

I would love to come here more often too though, but we'll see...got lots on my hands. I have one full album to make vocals and lyrics for this summer, another full album to mix and produce and sing, and b three EP's I'm getting ready to release as well. Plus collaboration videos. I should be working on them even while I write this...

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

FrankenFretter
June 25th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Maybe more of our members need to enhance their local economies by buying new gear, and then posting lots of luscious pictures here on The Fret. That sounds like a win/win situation!

Brian Krashpad
June 26th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Maybe more of our members need to enhance their local economies by buying new gear, and then posting lots of luscious pictures here on The Fret. That sounds like a win/win situation!

You said it! Just wish I hadn't dropped $5K I didn't entirely have on surgery to save our dog's eye. ;)

Robert
June 26th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Sorry to hear that Brian, hope your dog is doing great!

Good to hear your feedback, everyone. Keep it coming.

Spudman
July 1st, 2014, 05:46 PM
I'd love to pitch in from time to time, but I haven't gigged in quite a while and am more focused on riding my bicycle. When I play music I tend to get excited about it, but this long without playing with other people, I've not picked up the guitar in weeks...for the first time since I was 15 years old. Sigh! Hopefully that situation will change in the near future.

tjcurtin1
July 1st, 2014, 06:33 PM
I'd love to pitch in from time to time, but I haven't gigged in quite a while and am more focused on riding my bicycle. When I play music I tend to get excited about it, but this long without playing with other people, I've not picked up the guitar in weeks...for the first time since I was 15 years old. Sigh! Hopefully that situation will change in the near future.

Spud, what's up? I hadn't heard that you were band-less - unusual for you, no? Can't imaging you going for weeks without playing!

Tig
July 2nd, 2014, 06:21 AM
Spud, what's up? I hadn't heard that you were band-less - unusual for you, no? Can't imaging you going for weeks without playing!

Yeah, but you should see his legs these days!
http://worldsstrongestlibrarian.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/lee-priest-legs.jpg
:poke
:D

Spudman
July 2nd, 2014, 12:45 PM
Yes indeed, the legs are looking good, but not like that.

My last band, the drummer graduated and moved to Seattle and the bass player is running a hospital somewhere. I tried another project with some seasoned players but that went nowhere...and I don't play country. I'm just in a location that doesn't really support live music, but the outdoor activities are awesome and I can do them by myself.

Retro Hound
July 5th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I haven't been playing the guitar much lately so my interest in the forum has waned. I really do need to get back to it, I picked up a guitar during a break while moving some friends and was appalled at how many simple licks and songs I'd forgotten.

I don't remember any negativity in posts, I always liked hanging out here and as a newbie to the guitar I learned a lot in the last few years from here.

Jimi75
July 8th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Dear Robert, moderators and active forum members! Some of you might remember me. I used to be a contributing member many years ago.
It is kind of sad reading about the inactivity and seeing that this beautiful forum suffers from inactivity. I know, I know, it’s easy to stop by now and say “hey guys, go on, don’t give in”, when I myself, haven’t been posting in years. Unfortunately, I have no proper solution to the problem at hand. However, I’d like to express that I owe many great experiences to The Fret.

I remember the many inspiring videos and dedicated discussions that really made me improve as a player. Not to forget the familiar approach. It wasn’t only once that we have also discussed personal things here and yes, sometimes I needed to be lifted up when I was down, and many of the members here were willing to do so. Although, I am not very active on the internet or any other forums anymore, I will always appreciate and value these experiences at The Fret very highly! Never have I found such a great companionship in any other forum – NEVER!

I fully respect Robert’s position and tight schedule, becoming more engaged due to his professionalism. I congratulate you to this wonderful development – you deserve this Robert.
Also do I believe that you have created a forum basis, strong enough to go on, without you being present each and every day.

Most of the musicians I know welcomed facebook and concentrated mainly on FB activities. Here they could share information the quickest and build a community, they could spotlight their persona more effectively. Regarding gear questions, well almost everything is said and done and almost everything is reviewed and filmed, so many people do not feel the need to post their questions in a forum – they Google the topic, read the posts and have their questions answered. This lead to the fact that most guitar related forums broke down to small diehard communities. Some forums became dumps, where people only come to post their youtube links and do not really participate in a constructive way, nor come back to read the feedbacks to their posts. This is sad and tough times for forums.

I cross my fingers for you and wish you manage to keep this place vivid and gather new and passionate blood.

Maybe you will undergo a period where only a core of members stays active, but I am convinced that better times will come.

All the best

Jimi75
….still a guy without a facebook profile ;-)

Eric
July 9th, 2014, 10:46 AM
It's also possible that Reddit has taken over as a primary forum for some.

marnold
July 9th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Great to hear from you, Jimi! Have an Altbier for me!

sixstringdrug
July 10th, 2014, 08:56 PM
B (-) (-) b s !!!!!!

tjcurtin1
July 11th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Hey Jimi, so good to hear from you - glad that you are alive and well;) ! I always really appreciated your offerings to the forum and have missed your presence. I learned a lot from the things you posted, too. How is your musical life going? And how is the rest of your life going?!

BTW, I, too, am still without a Facebook profile... just doesn't do it for me, though I know it is a real point of connection for many.

tjcurtin1
July 11th, 2014, 07:55 PM
SIXSTRING, that was pretty funny...

Jimi75
July 12th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Hey Jimi, so good to hear from you - glad that you are alive and well;) ! I always really appreciated your offerings to the forum and have missed your presence. I learned a lot from the things you posted, too. How is your musical life going? And how is the rest of your life going?!

BTW, I, too, am still without a Facebook profile... just doesn't do it for me, though I know it is a real point of connection for many.

Thank you so much for your kind words . it's great to hear that my posts had a meaning. My musical life made a drastical turn in the beginning of 2012 that ended with writing the official hymn for the Youth Olympic Games 2012. Working with the IOC was a fantastic experience. From there on I sigend with a well known record company to write for some of their new artists and for several TV formats. I have quit my day time job and wrote a child book which is currently under negotiation for being published throughout Germany. Don't have any intention to go back to normal work in 2014, but will spend lots of time with my family and AWAY from the internet. In January of this year we have recorded our first album and we are playing extensively. We receive great reviews and I hope to sign a deal with a small and dedicated Bluesrock label, if things go on like they do. That is actually the current status - I am happy.

I hope that all of the "old" members I used to chat and discuss with are doing well.
Really loved my time being here!

Take care
Jimi75

Tig
July 12th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Wow, I'm so happy for you, Jimi! :dance Life is really going well for you and you get to stay creative. Let us know how to get or listen to the new album, OK?

tjcurtin1
July 12th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Wow, I'm so happy for you, Jimi! :dance Life is really going well for you and you get to stay creative. Let us know how to get or listen to the new album, OK?

+1 on that Jimi - So glad to hear all the good news! I forgot that you mentioned long ago that you were working on a children's book, too - let us know about that when it's available, too. All the best!

Jimi75
July 13th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Feel free to listen to clips of our album. It's available on iTunes.
I hope you like what you hear :-)

https://itunes.apple.com/de/album/cut-cry-smile/id851250654

Tig
July 13th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Found the album in Amazon, too. :AOK It is on my wishlist for later in the week.
http://www.amazon.com/Cut-Smile-Explicit-Jimmy-Steeltown/dp/B00JH8ENTU/

Jipes
July 14th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Gald to hear the good news Jimi I wish you a great success and tons of nice gigs :thumbsup

tjcurtin1
July 14th, 2014, 09:06 PM
I could only listen to brief clips, but the band sounds really tight - of course, my attention was focused on the guitar which is terrific - great tone and playing, Jimi - best of luck!

Robert
July 15th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Great to hear from you Jimi!

Yeah it seems the days of a great and active Fret.Net are behind us... thanks for all you did when you were here. You were a big part of making this place awesome!

Forgive my nostalgia... :cry:

PS.
Your band sounds awesome! Great playing, man.

Jimi75
July 17th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Great to hear from you Jimi!

Yeah it seems the days of a great and active Fret.Net are behind us... thanks for all you did when you were here. You were a big part of making this place awesome!

Forgive my nostalgia... :cry:

PS.
Your band sounds awesome! Great playing, man.

Thanks so very much, Robert for your kind words! Don't worry about being nostalgic....we had darn good times here, I know my friend!

helliott
July 17th, 2014, 03:29 PM
That stuff sounds great. Congrats on your success and many good wishes

Tig
July 18th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Thanks so very much, Robert for your kind words! Don't worry about being nostalgic....we had darn good times here, I know my friend!

So I downloaded your album today and got in one listen so far. Wow, this is some very good music! The production is excellent and your songwriting is strong. What blows me away is how good you play rhythm and lead, especially your wah usage. I also love your guitar tone. I'm not just saying this to make you feel good. I'm quite impressed with this album.

What gear did you use?

Jimi75
July 19th, 2014, 06:01 AM
So I downloaded your album today and got in one listen so far. Wow, this is some very good music! The production is excellent and your songwriting is strong. What blows me away is how good you play rhythm and lead, especially your wah usage. I also love your guitar tone. I'm not just saying this to make you feel good. I'm quite impressed with this album.

What gear did you use?

Hey Tig, first of all thank you so much for buying the album! I am happy to hear you like it and I am happy to read you compliments on the production and songwriting. We have put so much love and passion into it.
My equipment used on the album was very simple. 2 Strats, JTM45 Reissue, Fulltone Clyde & OCD, Ibanez TS-9 and a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz. On some songs, such as "Falling", "You Say" and "Walk Away" I use my Gibson Custom 1957 Goldtop.

Tig
July 22nd, 2014, 12:02 PM
Hey Tig, first of all thank you so much for buying the album! I am happy to hear you like it and I am happy to read you compliments on the production and songwriting. We have put so much love and passion into it.
My equipment used on the album was very simple. 2 Strats, JTM45 Reissue, Fulltone Clyde & OCD, Ibanez TS-9 and a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz. On some songs, such as "Falling", "You Say" and "Walk Away" I use my Gibson Custom 1957 Goldtop.

After a few more listens the passion and creativity become clear in this album. Good earphones help bring out the details more than my PC's 5.1 system. The songs vary in style and feel but the album flows from one song to the next.. I even get the occasional Robben Ford jazzy-blues vibe, which is a big compliment! :thumbsup

I recommend this album to my fellow Fretters. There are plenty of rock riffs and solos with a heavy dose of blues and a pinch of jazz. You will be amazed at Jimi's guitar playing.

marnold
July 22nd, 2014, 10:29 PM
Found the album in Amazon, too. :AOK It is on my wishlist for later in the week.
http://www.amazon.com/Cut-Smile-Explicit-Jimmy-Steeltown/dp/B00JH8ENTU/

I noticed that it is on Google Play too: https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Jimmy_Steeltown_Cut_Cry_Smile?id=B6l2xrd64i5c73jdq zzoa7oxudi

Like Amazon, it oddly lists the album as explicit. Granted, I've only had the chance to listen to one track, but I haven't come across a ton of f-bombs just yet :)

Jimi75
July 23rd, 2014, 12:24 AM
I noticed that it is on Google Play too: https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Jimmy_Steeltown_Cut_Cry_Smile?id=B6l2xrd64i5c73jdq zzoa7oxudi

Like Amazon, it oddly lists the album as explicit. Granted, I've only had the chance to listen to one track, but I haven't come across a ton of f-bombs just yet :)

There are definitely no explicit lyrics on the album. It was marked by mistake when the label uploaded to the platforms. We will correct this in the near future.

jtees4
July 31st, 2014, 12:18 PM
Free Les Pauls for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! That'll work, even an Epi will do the trick.
Anyway, I am fairly new here and I check back roughly weekly, so I was not around in the heyday I guess.
I had my own forum a few years back and it was a real hard road so I know it can be tough, anyway.....I have to be honest...I don't really have suggestions at this moment but I do wish you well. There has to be a way, maybe there needs to be more fighting....that always raises interest :thwap

Lev
August 7th, 2014, 04:10 AM
Hi All,

I am also guilty of not posting much anymore, I still play as much as I can but no longer with a band so I'm confined to home noodling and recording. When I think back to 2007 or so when I joined this forum my life and the internet in general were very different.

In 2007 youtube was exploding, we were getting demo's of all the coolest gear without ever having to visit a store. Long lost and forgotten footage of our hero's were showing up online. Songs/records that inspired us to start playing were suddenly available to us a the touch of a button rather than having to search through the loft for a scratched piece of vinyl. New talent was emerging with a strong online presence - John Mayer, Joe Bonamassa etc. A realization was sweeping across youtube and internet forums that there was cool gear out there that could deliver amazing tones at very affordable costs - valvetronix, bad monkeys, classic vibes etc. From a personal point of view I wasn't yet married, my wife to-be was working full time, we had no kids, I had some disposable income available for GAS. I also had plenty of time to dedicate to my hobbies. All of these factors were the back drop to vibrant online discussion at theFret.

Fast forward to today and the whole newness of youtube is gone, I can't recall the last time I saw something on YT that blew my mind. I'm pretty happy with my gear and have no disposable income to spend on new gear anyway. My 2 kids eat up most of my time so any free time I get to spend on hobbies usually involves me playing guitar and therefore I don't get time to post on forums much anymore. Life is good though and I'm in a very happy place.

I will also say (just being honest here) that for me the vibe and user experience here diminished somewhat with the upgrade/makeover that happened a couple of years back. I can't put my finger on why! We had the same members but it just didn't feel the same for me. I really do hope this place survives and like other's have said I have very fond memories of the interactions I had here. I hope to contribute more in the future when time permits. I do enjoy home recording a lot now so that may be where I focus my contributions in the future.

Bring back the online Jams!!! :dude

Eric
August 7th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Hi Lev-

Glad to hear you're doing well. I think what you described is probably pretty common: happy with gear, novelty of online communities and youtube wearing off, and life priorities having shifted. So it goes -- if everything was the same all of the time, life would be pretty boring.

Anyway, I'm glad that you are in a good place in life; good to hear from you.

tjcurtin1
August 7th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Hi Lev-

Glad to hear you're doing well. I think what you described is probably pretty common: happy with gear, novelty of online communities and youtube wearing off, and life priorities having shifted. So it goes -- if everything was the same all of the time, life would be pretty boring.

Anyway, I'm glad that you are in a good place in life; good to hear from you.

#1 - good to hear from you Lev, and glad to hear that life is treating you well!

tjcurtin1
August 7th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Actually, it's kind of funny to consider that this topic is onto it's fourth page and 60 responses...! There's still some life in the old forum left, even if it's in a conversation about its sad state;)

kidsmoke
October 14th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Interesting to find this thread this evening. I'm one who found MUCH value in this particular forum, and has not been around in a while. I do have one brand specific forum I became an involved member at, and they actually get together once a year, so that inherently adds to the community feel. Also a new job over a year ago changed my computer habits dramatically, so what little time I have was spent checking in over there.

I've missed the more generalist leanings of this place however. What made me come lurking was that a poster at that other forum was building a custom guitar, and used a Hell guitar TRC. I got a kick out of that. Felt like it was a family member showing up on the evening news..."hey..I KNOW that guy!"

I had to come around and check in. I also recall the lively "now playing" thread where I learned a TON! and yes, feeling like I was part of SYO's R&D dept. was cool. Between Robert and DVM, any guitar related question I have can be answered here with no pretentiousness at all. I like that. I hope we can find a way to revive things a bit. I'll try to stir the pot.

Duffy
October 15th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Hi All,

I am also guilty of not posting much anymore.

I will also say (just being honest here) that for me the vibe and user experience here diminished somewhat with the upgrade/makeover that happened a couple of years back. I can't put my finger on why! We had the same members but it just didn't feel the same for me. I really do hope this place survives and like other's have said I have very fond memories of the interactions I had here. I hope to contribute more in the future when time permits. I do enjoy home recording a lot now so that may be where I focus my contributions in the future.

Bring back the online Jams!!! :dude

Unfortunately, I think that "makeover" did have a widespread affect on the way people looked at what they thought was "their" forum, in some small way.

Suddenly there were membership fees in order to have certain "rights" to post your equipment, signatures, and things like that. Things that participants were already used to being able to do, and suddenly were no longer able to do.

I'm sure contributions are needed, but the strategy to develop more contributions that was incorporated had the affect, I think, to drive people away, make them feel marginalized and ripped off - just from a simple feeling they got. Like someone just stole your candy.

I'd say open the forum back up to signatures, equipment lists, etc. This may be too late to do that effectively though, because people remember what happened and they still feel the sting of the carpet being pulled out from under them.

This is something to consider, even if you have always been a financially contributing member.

It made the forum a "stratified" environment where this person got more privileges than that person, however justifiable that approach may have seemed at the time to the originator of the idea. All of the sudden people with "x" title had more status than others - something like the social structure in some countries where only certain titled people can sit at certain tables in restaurants. Americans don't dig that type of arrogant imposition of social status that's based on financial contribution and a sort of economic status. It made people that didn't donate feel like they were lesser members and looked at as free loaders; consequently getting limited rights on the forum. That turned some people off believe it or not - even if you think such an outlook is preposterous.

deeaa
October 15th, 2014, 01:34 AM
Yep that was it for me. I was starting to write articles on projects of mine, guitar refinish and such, and suddenly I would have had to pay to have such threads. That seemed weird as usually sites pay for such content, or at least reward in some way, be it credibility points or trophies or whatever, here it suddenly seemed the forum started to punish you the more the more you wanted to post and be involved. That's why I left.

Robert
October 15th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Interesting comments! The membership structure is very similar to many others, like The Gear Page, Strat-Talk, TDPRI, acousticguitarforum, etc.

deeaa
October 15th, 2014, 11:25 PM
I don't go to those either.

MAXIFUNK
October 21st, 2014, 02:24 AM
Well I've logged on once or twice for about 2 or 3 years now. Maybe life got in the mostly or my cyber broswing habits changed but I've always enjoy the time I've spent here.