PDA

View Full Version : The Jimmie Vaughan Signature Stratocaster Appreciation Thread

stingx
January 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM
I bought my JV back in '05 after reading tons of accolades. I already had a '97 Lonestar Strat but was curious so I went to try one out at the local music shop. After playing for about an hour or so I knew there was no way I was leaving without it :) I currently have six electric guitars in my collection and the JV gets the most play time. In fact, it's very hard to put that guitar down once I pick it up to play. Usually the wife ends up bellowing for me because I loose track of all time.

I thought the guitar was just about perfect stock but I did end up switching the cheesy 1-ply pickguard for a 3-ply parchment and swapped out the white plastic parts for aged creme.

Anyone else own the JV and if so, what have you done with it as far as mods, etc? I'm curious to hear what others who own one think of the guitar. like I stated, mine gets tons of play time...so much, in fact, it glows!

http://www.stubble.org/temp/jv-glow.jpg

http://www.stubble.org/temp/more/IMG_2619-sm.jpg

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
I don't have anything substantive to add. Just to say that you appear to have a very beautiful guitar and I have loved the sounds you have posted from it.

stingx
January 2nd, 2007, 05:32 PM
I don't have anything substantive to add. Just to say that you appear to have a very beautiful guitar and I have loved the sounds you have posted from it.

Thanks, man. I love all Strats. I love the design, the way they sound, the feel...

I think it's the perfect electric guitar. I only have one other guitar that isn't a Strat or a Super Strat, and that's my Schecter PT Tele.

You couldn't have picked a better year to buy your 60th Anniversary Strat, Steve. For a nominal price, Fender beefed up the trem block, installed medium-jumbo frets, and shielded the pups nicely. The standard strat didn't have all that good stuff when I was shopping for the JV in '05.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 2nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Hey stingx , nice JV , maybe the best bang for the buck axe out there. The cheesy 1 pc pickguard was original from 54-59 thats why it was there as the JV is based on a 50's strat ..i pc 8 hole pickguard aint cheesy in my book ...

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks right back at you. Without really knowing what I was doing (I am good at research though), I got something that I like very much.

stingx
January 2nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
Hey stingx , nice JV , maybe the best bang for the buck axe out there. The cheesy 1 pc pickguard was original from 54-59 thats why it was there as the JV is based on a 50's strat ..i pc 8 hole pickguard aint cheesy in my book ...

What was "cheesy" was how it kept bending from the body. It bothered me. So I just changed it for a 3-ply. A few extra holes didn't effect the tone :)

Jimi75
January 3rd, 2007, 02:50 AM
I have been playing my Jimmie Vaughan since 1997 right now. To me it is a superb example of what the result can be when the artist and the company work together closely. Especially the neck shape is unbelievable. Tha smooth V is great. For me, as a player with smaller hands, it is just perfect.

Adjustments I made:
I put on the aged white acessory Kit for all white parts.
Changed the PUs from Tex Mex to a Set of Texas Special.

A perfect instrument! Surely one I never gonna sell again.

tot_Ou_tard
January 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Really nice ax there StingX I really like the white. I've only ever heard good things about it.

Big_Rob
January 3rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
The JV Strat is such a great sounding guitar. I like the Tex Mex p'ups

Justaguyin_nc
January 31st, 2007, 06:23 PM
I just recieved a MusiciansFriend sales book... listing the JV at $599.00.. but on their site..they have now raised the price to $650.00... Guess all those great reviews there has caught someone's attention. Great looking strat Stingx... I have a MIM 60's in Olympic and rosewood neck I really like.. and have often thought of matching it to a 50's model olympic with maple neck... maybe the Jimi is the way to go.. to to to many good reviews on this guitar...

Justaguyin_nc
May 5th, 2007, 10:58 PM
As you can see by the date of the last message, I been watching these for awhile on ebay... (looks side to side).. and finally got one for a good price in my eyes... $375.00 (sells for $650.00 on MF) with a coffin case... Olympic White! I already had a Classic 60 in the same color and rosewood fret board... they should look nice leaning together!! Suppose to be like new.. hopefully it will be.. here is a link to a very good description on these guitars..

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/fender_stratocaster_jimmy.html

also..here is a pretty good young fellow playing his Jimmie vaughan.. checkout all his Youtube videos.. he is a very good player... with amazing tone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYo72aI6fOI

stingx
May 6th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Congrats on your score. You're gonna love it.

tot_Ou_tard
May 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Yowza!! Good job!

Justaguyin_nc
May 8th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Congrats on your score. You're gonna love it.

I think it's going to be a winner.. especially at the price.. he already installed the strap locks.. apparently had it Professionally setup and is including the aged plastic set you can buy for these.. so now a parchment or mint in 8 hole pickguard (think all 8 hole pickguards work on the JV?) and it should be set... should be here by thursday... exciting wait..wait...wait..

sunvalleylaw
May 8th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I am excited for you Justa! Can't wait to see and hear it!

Tone2TheBone
May 8th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Hey cool score Justa awesome...congrats! That's the way to do it make your dreams a reality! Speak them into existence! :DR

ted s
May 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Nice Justa, I like the white.

Justaguyin_nc
May 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Well it made it here... hours ago... I can only say one thing... PICKUPS!!! Woooohoooo.... oh sorry... my full beginners review will follow once I enjoy the heck out of this thing a bit more...:) Sure sounds different then the Old style 60 mim classic I got.. and that bridge being able to blend the tone... sweeeeeet... well worth the bucks and then some so far.... did I mention the neck yet? my gawd.... falls right into your hand... slides like butter... ok ok, enough for now... back to playing... seeya....

Iago
May 9th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Drooling over StingX's JV Strat.. why do Fender's look so good in white? :D

Justaguyin_nc
May 10th, 2007, 12:11 AM
White is soooo cool...:) Ok, this is stock..but it's still cool..;)

tot_Ou_tard
May 10th, 2007, 04:35 AM
White is indeed cool.