PDA

View Full Version : So I Retubed My Peavey Classic 20

warren0728
January 2nd, 2007, 04:37 PM
OK...here's the deal. I bought this little Peavey Classic 20 in mint condition at a local pawnshop for $100....single channel, no reverb no nothing.

I really like this amp and they seem to be a popular one too....

I have heard that these amps really respond differently to different tube combinations. So after some discussion with others about the amp i figured a tube swap would be a good first attempt at "modding" :D

Now let me say...I AM NOT a professional musician, i have never gigged in my life (unless you count frogs)....i am just a home playing guitar hack! ( i like playing the blues and classic rock.

That being said i think the tube change out is phenomenal. I called bob at eurotubes and we talked about the amp and what type of music i played, where i played, etc. and he picked out a set of tubes (4) for me.

A matched set of EL 84s that he felt would warm and mellow the amp up some. And a graded ECC 83 S for v2 that he felt would give me a little earlier breakup so i wouldn't have to play as loud to get that blues sound!

I was amazed at the difference i heard! The amp was a little harsh before but now it is warm and mellow. Not only warmer and thicker sounding but more articulate too. That was one of the first things i noticed...how articulate the amp sounded...good for amp....bad for me! Laughing

The cleans are cleaner and the tubes breakup really nicely and it just sounds so good. Bob seemed to know his stuff...he delivered what he promised sound wise.

I would love to find a Peavey112e cabinet that matches the c20 and run it into the extension cab.

For now though I might put a new speaker in......any suggestions?

ww

stingx
January 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
OK...here's the deal. I bought this little Peavey Classic 20 in mint condition at a local pawnshop for $100....single channel, no reverb no nothing.

I really like this amp and they seem to be a popular one too....

I have heard that these amps really respond differently to different tube combinations. So after some discussion with others about the amp i figured a tube swap would be a good first attempt at "modding" :D

Now let me say...I AM NOT a professional musician, i have never gigged in my life (unless you count frogs)....i am just a home playing guitar hack! ( i like playing the blues and classic rock.

That being said i think the tube change out is phenomenal. I called bob at eurotubes and we talked about the amp and what type of music i played, where i played, etc. and he picked out a set of tubes (4) for me.

A matched set of EL 84s that he felt would warm and mellow the amp up some. And a graded ECC 83 S for v2 that he felt would give me a little earlier breakup so i wouldn't have to play as loud to get that blues sound!

I was amazed at the difference i heard! The amp was a little harsh before but now it is warm and mellow. Not only warmer and thicker sounding but more articulate too. That was one of the first things i noticed...how articulate the amp sounded...good for amp....bad for me! Laughing

The cleans are cleaner and the tubes breakup really nicely and it just sounds so good. Bob seemed to know his stuff...he delivered what he promised sound wise.

I would love to find a Peavey112e cabinet that matches the c20 and run it into the extension cab.

For now though I might put a new speaker in......any suggestions?

ww

Congrats, Warren. Bob is a great guy that really knows his stuff. I bought my replacement valves from Eurotubes as well. Like you, I too thought about replacing the speaker. In the end, however, I felt that the stock Blue Marvel did a great job as is. I was considering an Eminence Red Coat and a Celestion Vintage 30 at one point.

Tone2TheBone
January 3rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
The Blue Marvel is dope man! Don't change that out!

warren0728
January 3rd, 2007, 06:38 PM
The Blue Marvel is dope man! Don't change that out!
hmmmm....not sure if there is a blue marvel in my c20 or not....

it sure is sounding nice with those new tubes! man that's the best 30 something bucks i've spent in a long time....

ww

Tone2TheBone
January 3rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
hmmmm....not sure if there is a blue marvel in my c20 or not....

it sure is sounding nice with those new tubes! man that's the best 30 something bucks i've spent in a long time....

ww

War - I'm really sold on the JJs. I knew you'd like them too. My thanks to those that recommended them to me in the first place.

If you're anything like me and I think you are...you'll get another speaker in there to try out and well.....thats ok! Go for it! Better than blowing money on crack or gambling I always say! ;) Make sure you have enough money for the beer for doing the install!

I've yet to order one of those killer tube guards for it from that Ebay dude. My tubes don't rattle so I'm good there. Congrats on your new JJs!

warren0728
January 3rd, 2007, 07:02 PM
War - I'm really sold on the JJs. I knew you'd like them too. My thanks to those that recommended them to me in the first place.

If you're anything like me and I think you are...you'll get another speaker in there to try out and well.....thats ok! Go for it! Better than blowing money on crack or gambling I always say! ;) Make sure you have enough money for the beer for doing the install!

I've yet to order one of those killer tube guards for it from that Ebay dude. My tubes don't rattle so I'm good there. Congrats on your new JJs!

yep i really like the jj's and it's nice to talk to bob...tell him what you are trying to achieve tone wise and he fixes you up!

i am thinking of an external cab....wonder if i could come up with one that would work with the c20....maybe a valve jr head and probably a guytronix 1/2 watt gilmore jr.

ww