PDA

View Full Version : Another great one is gone -- RIP Johnny Winter

helliott
July 17th, 2014, 06:45 AM
CBC.ca

Texas blues icon Johnny Winter, who rose to fame in the late 1960s and '70s with his energetic performances and recordings that included producing his childhood hero Muddy Waters, has died. He was 70.

His representative, Carla Parisi, confirmed Thursday that Winter died in a hotel room in Zurich a day earlier. The statement said his wife, family and bandmates were all saddened by the loss of one of the world's finest guitarists.

He had been on an extensive tour this year that brought him to Europe for his last performance Saturday at the Lovely Days Festival in Wiesen, Austria.

His tour schedule also included Canadian dates. Winter was scheduled to perform in Picton, Ont., and Victoriaville, Que., next week.

Robert
July 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM
RIP Johnny, a true guitar hero in my book. He was amazing. He played in a town close to where I live a couple of years ago. I regret not being able to go see him then.

Jimi75
July 17th, 2014, 11:39 AM
R.I.P. Johnny. Very, very sad to hear about his untimely death.
Man, could he play da Blues - even Jimi would have bowed down, hearing this one here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gWbt8KX84k#t=112

helliott
July 17th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I get that, Robert. He played a sold out show at This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton a month or three back, and my guitar partner James had tickets. We were going to go together and some work stupid thing came up and I had to back out. And now ...

tjcurtin1
July 17th, 2014, 09:04 PM
One of my great early guitar idols as a teenager - sad to hear this news, tho I'm glad that in the last few years he had really come back and seemed to be enjoying a rebound of his career and acknowledgment of his importance.

marnold
July 18th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Premier Guitar just had a big write up on him. I started digging through some of his back catalog. Given the way he lived his life for so many years, it's actually remarkable that he made it to 70.

Tig
July 18th, 2014, 01:15 PM
So sad. He had been having health problems for years so it was a matter of when, but this was too early. http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/frown.gif

My dad took me to see him in 1976 when he toured with Edgar. I wish I saw him again recently. His 2011 Roots albums is incredible, BTW.

player
September 2nd, 2014, 12:01 PM
I think he put Gibson's Firebird on the '' map'' of noteable guitars to have and own.everyone knows Johnny could make it talk. :rockon: