PDA

View Full Version : Strobostomp, Tonelab, RC-2 experiment

tot_Ou_tard
January 2nd, 2007, 06:26 PM
I love my RC-2 looper.

I often practice with a Tonelab & it bothered me that I couldn't use the full flexibility of the Tonelab on my overdubs.

Then I had a breakthrough. The stobostomp has a built in DI so why not feed the Tonelab into the RC-2 then into the strobo & from that via an XLR cable into my mixer.

Well, it works. I have to adjust the eq & such. I haven't yet decided whether I have lost some tone doing this.

Back to my mad scientist cave..... :R

--------------------------------------------------

Emerging from the cave I've got to say that I like it!

Questions of possible loss of tone is far outweighed by the incredible increase in flexibility. As a side benefit the rhythm beats don't get all ratty if I up the gain.

Of course, I won't have this flexibility when I am playing my AD30VT.

-----------------------------------------------------

I freaked out when I first connected it all up. There was no sound in the right headphone speaker & the other side was ratty and quiet. It sounded horrible. So I disconnected it all & put it back to the way it was. The sound was still lousy. I thought my Tonelab had gone on the fritz. I patiently simplified the rig & still it was horrible. I finally found out that it was the headphones.

Yikes! I don't want to have to get new headphones. Luckily I discovered that the cable was a little loose. I disconnected the cable & reconnected it. Viola success! Then I had to rewire everything back the way it was.

tot_Ou_tard
January 3rd, 2007, 08:41 AM
I have thought of another way that might work without using a DI.

Set the Tonelab to line and input it into the aux (CD) input to the RC-2.
Perhaps the output can now go directly to the mixer. I dunno.

sunvalleylaw
January 3rd, 2007, 08:43 AM
Cool experiment! Sounds like a winner.

tot_Ou_tard
January 4th, 2007, 10:16 PM
A few more mad scientist sessions later & am I not happy with the experiment.
It sounds a little harsh ...ummm... mojo.

I put everything back the way it was

guitar -> strobo -> bad monkey -> rc-2 -> tonelab -> cans

(cans = headphones)

But I'm not giving up!