PDA

View Full Version : Fender Am. Std Strat & Raw Vintage

Robert
November 17th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Here are 2 demos of the Standard American Strat, now with Raw Vintage saddles & tremolo springs added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8yiw_FPRtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45PbLc37GS8

tjcurtin1
November 17th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Well, what do you say, Robert - do you think that they made an appreciable difference? I thought you were going to swap out the pups, too...

Robert
November 17th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Yes, I think it was worth the change - the tone is richer, fuller, in my opinion.

The pups have been changed... these were the last demos with this guitar with the stock pickups (which are great by the way).

duhvoodooman
November 17th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I'd want to hear the difference "A/B'd" to be convinced that this change makes any appreciable tonal difference. Not saying it isn't possible, but I have to admit to being a bit skeptical. I think it's just human nature that our ears tend to hear what we want them to hear. I know I've been guilty of this on several occasions. I make a change, convince myself that it sounds better, and within a month or two, come to the conclusion that nothing really changed. Or maybe that's just me.... :confused:

That said, your tone & playing sound GREAT, as usual! But I tend to think it's 90% in your fingers....

Robert
November 17th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Thanks Vood, that's why I made 2 videos (with JVM and Samamp) before I changed to the Raw Vintage gear. You can A/B yourself by switching between those videos! There are 2 before and 2 after...

The recording gear and process was identical on all 4 videos.

In my opinion, the guitar sounds fuller and less "rattly", less brittle sounding. I know it's probably hard to tell the audible effect from a video. Another thing - it feels better to play the guitar now than before.

I suspect the saddles are the main source for the improvement in tonal quality, but I got the springs any way while I was at it. They are a bit stronger than my stock springs, so perhaps that is a good thing too. I wasn't nerdy enough to record with only the saddles changed, and then with only the springs changed. I don't have that much time on my hands! :)

jazzrat
December 16th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I think they are beautifully made and sound great but there is an issue on my EJ strat.
The high E is kicked offline. Maybe they are slightly wider...not sure but I may put the stock saddles back on.
I do like the feel of the springs for sure.

Robert
December 16th, 2014, 02:36 PM
They have 2 different versions. Make sure you get the saddles with the correct spacing...

jazzrat
December 17th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I definitely have the right ones (RVS-112)
I just put a micrometer on them. The stock EJ saddles mic at .43 wide and the RW saddles as noted in their documentation mic at .441. Cumulatively over six saddles it's enough
to make the E to E spread wider than stock.
I have a Callaham block coming. When I install that I will put the stock saddle back on.

Fine product for sure but on this particular guitar, where the strings are already too close the edge of the neck they are not working.

Robert
December 17th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Ok, they fit perfectly on an Am. Std. Strat - perhaps it has wider spacing compared to yours, I don't know.