PDA

View Full Version : NPD! Hardwire DL-8

marnold
December 30th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Well, my new Digitech Hardwire DL-8 delay/looper arrived via the friendly UPS man today! I hope at some point to get some clips up, but right now this week is very busy for me and next week is worse so . . .

I'm happy to report that all the knobs work as designed, unlike my old Boss DD-6. No surprises there. The DL-8 is also has more features than the DD-6. Thus far I really like the Tape mode for high gain lead tones. It gives you that "bigness" but the repeats fade away softly. I'm also quite impressed with the Modulated mode for quasi-reverb sounds. The modulation is very subtle except at extreme settings. The modulation cannot be adjusted. At the level I use it, it adds a certain something without sounding like you've got your 80s chorus cranked to 11.

Even the purely digital delay's repeats seem to fade in a way that I find more pleasing than the Boss'. Analog mode adds some warmth which helps push the repeats into the background. Lofi mode sounds just like you might expect. The repeats are dark and gritty. Very cool in some applications, but I think they could get lost with a bunch of gain. I haven't had the chance to try the looper yet, but I will get to that at some point.

Thus far, color me pleased. I'll give a more full report once the honeymoon has worn off a bit.

duhvoodooman
December 30th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Even a pedal DIY'er like me recognized how great a deal that MF $60 sale was--I ordered one of those DL-8's, too. Supposed to be here Friday. Would have been Wed. if not for the two holidays this week. :mad

Schundog
December 30th, 2014, 11:12 PM
I almost pulled the trigger on one, but I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time... I'll have to stick with my DD-3 for the time being. Congratulations, I look forward to hearing some clips, along with more of your thoughts!

Robert
December 31st, 2014, 02:08 AM
Congrats! A Delay is always good to have, unless you are on your way to the airport. Get it? Delay, airport.... never mind... :spank :thumbsup

marnold
January 7th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Still no time for clips, but here's a few things I've picked up.

The only big feature that this doesn't have that my DD-6 did is different repeat tempos (viz quarter note, dotted eighth, quarter note triplet). It also has a warp function that I used once or twice.

The DL-8 has more delay time (5.2 vs 8 sec), longer loop time (5.2 vs 20 sec), plus the different analog emulations. It also allows you to choose true bypass or buffered, the latter allowing the delay trails to continue even when the pedal gets disengaged.

Both have tap tempo and stereo inputs and outputs. The stereo output is a bit more flexible on the DD-6, allowing for panning (which I assume means ping-pong), one amp effected and the other direct, and stereo. The DL-8 just allows for ping-pong.

The modulated, lo fi, and tape types have a range of 100 ms-1 second. The analog type goes from 35 ms-1 second. That throws you off a bit if you are just sweeping through the delay types. Obviously you wouldn't expect a slapback type to be even close to the other ones. I stand by my original assessment that I like the modulated and tape delay types the best. It's not that the others are bad, it's just that those are the ones I keep coming back to.

I did get to use the looper a little bit. It's pretty straightforward. It will require some practice so I can get my timing down. I'd imagine that is true of any looper. Seems like it will be a useful practice tool. My son came downstairs to my office looking puzzled because it sounded like I was playing two parts at once.

duhvoodooman
January 7th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Got mine last Friday, and am very impressed with it. Excellent sounding delay and great flexibility. The tape delay is my favorite so far, as well, Rev. The looper mode seems to work quite well, too. And like other Digitech pedals, it's built like a freakin' tank and weighs almost as much as one. What a bargain for $60!

marnold
January 7th, 2015, 11:04 PM
Got mine last Friday, and am very impressed with it. Excellent sounding delay and great flexibility. The tape delay is my favorite so far, as well, Rev. Looper seems to work quite well, too. And like other Digitech pedals, it's built like a freakin' tank and weighs almost as much as one. What a bargain for $60!

Yeah, I mentioned to my wife that I could beat an intruder to death with it if need be. It is a bit taller and wider than the Boss. You are absolutely right. At $60, it's like highway robbery. Glad I was patient.

marnold
February 16th, 2024, 06:29 PM
I hate to pull up a zombie thread, but my DL-8 is starting to suffer from the same problem that my old DD-6 did. The mode knob has gone haywire. Around half of the modes work and most of them are not what the knob says they should be. Thankfully the one second digital delay setting still works (as does the two second, but the eight second is the same as the two now) so I can use that with the tap tempo. I don't know if it's because I kept it on one setting most of the time or what. I guess for $60 and getting 10 years out of it I shouldn't be too upset. I might take it apart and see if I can spray some pot cleaner in there.

If I end up getting a different one, I'm looking at a JHS 3 Series Delay which is simple, reasonably priced, and doesn't have a mode knob to fail.

helliott
February 18th, 2024, 12:54 PM
10 years for $60 is pretty good. Good luck with a replacement.

I enjoy my Helix in part because it offers up so many options for effects and pedals. Still have my standby pedals for tubetime, but Helix is very low maintenance and high variety.

marnold
February 20th, 2024, 01:41 PM
If I end up getting a different one, I'm looking at a JHS 3 Series Delay which is simple, reasonably priced, and doesn't have a mode knob to fail.

That's what I ended up doing. I emailed JHS and had them add one to my order for my Notaklon so it will arrive at the same time.