PDA

View Full Version : Somebody is going to be upset

Spudman
January 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Check out the price this guy ended up paying for a $200 Squier.

This is a good reason to bid only what you are willing to pay and not to just throw out $1000 just because you didn't think anyone else would do the same thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320067156194&rd=1&rd=1

DaveO
January 5th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Wow, you gotta be kidding me. Maybe I should clean out the gear closet and glue some Budweiser labels on everything. 2 or 3 pedals should be enough to buy the new Les Paul. ;)
Dave

marnold
January 5th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Good Lord, it has a Rolling Rock paint job. I wouldn't _take_ it for $1000 (OK, maybe).

Robert
January 5th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Insane. Why buy that for that money? I'd be very upset if I paid that amount for that.

sunvalleylaw
January 6th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Hey, there might be some LaTrobe folks out there who really value that kind of thing. ;-)

DaveO
January 6th, 2007, 08:00 AM
How much is something really worth? Whatever someone will pay you for it.

kerc
January 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Holy moley. Unbelievable! :O

Hogfullofblues
January 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Somebody else must be pretty dang happy too - the seller! What would that thing have gone for if it had decals from a good beer?

Spudman
January 6th, 2007, 11:27 AM
These guitars were distributed through beer distributors and given away to top performing accounts. The finishes are painted and clear coated and are collectible. Only a few were made of each model.

The person that bid and won was obviously trying to be a smarty pants by throwing out a near $1000 bid.

What happens is two bidders will see that the price near the end of the auction is say $210. With 20 seconds to go bidder "A" throws down a bid of $960 thinking that if anyone else bids it will be $225 so they will probably get the guitar for around that price. The problem is that bidder "B" is thinking almost the same thing and throws down a bid of $1000 just to make sure they can win the auction with 10 seconds left to go, and that the price will probably be acceptably around $225. With 10 seconds left there is no time to retract a bid so guess what? You just won a beer guitar worth $200 that you are now paying $960 for while the rest of us are laughing our butts off.

Rule: Never bid more than you are willing to pay.

Hogfullofblues
January 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Aha :o ! So that explains how I have been outbidded so many times at the last second. But I think I'll take your advice, Spud, and not try it myself.