PDA

View Full Version : Mixolydian Time!

Robert
February 3rd, 2015, 11:10 PM
Yeah baby.

Here's a comment I added to the video, regarding the method of just playing a major scale, starting from the 5th scale degree above the 7 chord. I don't like that approach.
Yeah all modes can be understood in that manner. However, it's necessary to "see it" as its own entity, because the chord tones change for each mode. I recommend learning the formula of each mode inside out, so you don't have to resort to the method of "I'll just play the major scale X scale degrees from here..." because that will become awkward and difficult when you play jazz or songs with many chords. It's all about chord tones for me, and IF I base everything from a major scale pattern, I'll end up playing lines that fit the major chord, but not the mode in question. I have never found the idea of modes just "being a major scale played from a certain scale degree" useful in practice. It's fine for understanding the concept, but I urge all students to learn the sound and formula of each mode separately. That will be most useful in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQCJXL-8Glc

Jipes
February 4th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Great lesson Robert well demonstrated, maybe one thing that I would add would be you playing on a loop of A7 chord alternating between the A minor pentatonic and A mixolydian mode

Jimi75
February 4th, 2015, 06:06 AM
Awesome lesson and a really great lick!
Robert, it would be helpful to show which chords are in the scale, this was always the first thing I asked my guitar teacher.

Robert
February 4th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks!

Jimi, that would be any chord from the key of D - is that what you mean?

Dmaj7 Emin7 F#min7 Gmaj7 A7 Bmin7 C#m7b5

That may be a lot of info for a lesson like this.

Jimi75
February 4th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Hi Rob, yeah that's what I meant. It was just a general remark, I personally know the chords of course but remember that I always missed more musical input. My first experience with modes was a VHS tape by Vinnie Moore and I misliked the fact that ha jammed over a pedal tone, only. If someone's interested in composing a song in a certain mode it's important to know the chords and to know which are the strong and the weak chords and notes in a mode. But that is too much to put in such a lesson - your lesson is great and I will steal this lick anyways, hahaha :-)

Robert
February 4th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Thanks Jimi, steal away! :)