PDA

View Full Version : Telecaster Sound Change

Big K
January 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Thinking about changing the sound of my tele by installing either a GFS Mean or Dream 90 in the neck position (to replace a quite dark humbucker) the end result is to gain a little more high end. Have not played many instruments with P-90's installed so I am not sure if I will like the result:confused:

and a little more bite in the bridge with a GFS Fatbody Overwound Alnico or Lil Hot Puncher?

Have read nothing but good comments on GuitarFetish products on this forum so I have the bug to check out their pickups.....

comments/recommendations appreciated.....

SuperSwede
January 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Big K, everyone loves P90´s :)
Its somewhere in between a single coil and a humbucker.

t_ross33
January 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I played a Squier Custom II w/ P90s and thought it had a pretty cool sound - cool enough that I'm GASing for one now, but might have to wait :D Priorities.

Guitar Fetish is great to deal with, and their products offer a lot of bang for the buck. I say pick up a 'bucker and a P90 and see what works for you :R

I'm looking at dropping a GFS Crunchy PAF in the bridge position of Ol' Hartley and splitting it to capture a more tele-like sound.

Keep us posted!

Trev

Big K
January 6th, 2007, 11:31 AM
me thinks the credit card is going to get some use this afternoon:rolleyes:

Big K
January 7th, 2007, 08:33 PM
got rid of some GAS with an order to G-Fetish...

guitartist
May 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Hey Big K, did you wind up putting a GFS p90 in the neck of your tele?

I've been planning on doing the same thing with my Squier Fat Tele and would love to hear what you think about how it sounds.

Big K
May 9th, 2007, 07:05 PM
ended up with a GFS PAF clone in the Tele then received an offer I couldn't refuse so its down the road... couldn't decide whether to go with the Dream or Mean, so wired the humbucker with a coil cut switch and it turned out pretty nice... am about to order a Dream 90 for the neck of my Dean to brighten it up, i have a GFS 10k neck bucker in it currently and it is a little too hot (muddy) and a bit dark for me....

guitartist
May 10th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Hey, thanks for the update, Big K! I'm planning on ordering a bunch of GFS pickups one of these days, and definitely am going to replace the pickups in my tele....I'm leaning towards a p90 for its neck, not sure to go "Mean" or "dream" though.

I bought a Dean Vendetta a few months ago on ebay, with Dimarzios already in it. The Air Norton in the neck sounds awesome...its not a pickup I had considered checking out, but I'm real happy with it. Its pretty hot, but not too muddy or dark sounding for me (I play it through my marshall a lot, when I'm in the mood to play heavier-type, more metallic stuff...its perfect for that).

Iago
May 25th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Bought a Seymour Duncan "Broadcaster" Bridge pu for tele yesterday. I hope to tell you guys about how much the tone changed soon.

Big K
May 25th, 2007, 03:50 PM
couldn't stand not having a Tele, so I purchased another clone from Rondo, its only a matter of time before I start changing stuff in it and it hasn't even been delivered yet...this place is a GAS paradise!

snarph
May 27th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Ah one of the new STL50's just the thing to mod

Big K
May 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM
received a nice one...straight neck, no sprout, flake paint, nice figure in the maple...not to sure about the pickups.. need a little more jangle...

just needed some power thru the amp to make the pickups come alive..... mucho satisfied