PDA

View Full Version : Vox ac15c1

Monkus
February 10th, 2015, 11:47 PM
I suspect a few respected fretters have played through these at one time or the other. The Amph is just gonna sit in church. I play out of church with a Ta-15 or ElevenRack, depending on the gig. I may have a great deal on a (used like new) one. Thoughts?

duhvoodooman
February 11th, 2015, 09:23 AM
I have a 50th Anniv. hand-wired Heritage Series AC15 (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/20706) that I like very much. It's a somewhat different amp than the AC15C1, with a very cool EF86-based preamp in Channel 1, but I would guess that the "Top Boost" second channel is very similar to the brighter channel you mention. It doesn't have reverb, tremolo or a master volume, however, which the AC15C1 does. I love the clean tone of the amp with that classic Vox chime, but it gets awfully loud when I crank up for some crunch--pretty much have to run it through an attenuator in that case. The master volume in the AC15C1 should get around that limitation nicely.

Should do the praise band thing very nicely, unless you need a lot of clean volume--these amps are not noted for headroom!

Robert
February 11th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Great little amps!

Monkus
February 11th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Thanks DVM and Robert ... !

I like the edge of breakup anyway, and i can always use the pedalboard or M9 in front. For cleans, the other guitarist bought the Cube60 and I can always run another guitar through the Roland KC550 keyboard amph. I went through a heavily repaired Fender Twin and a Peavey Vypr which both broke down. I want to cut down on the amount of stuff I have to transport to and from church all the time. Getting it for about USD 450.00. Picking it up tonight!

Monkus
March 6th, 2015, 05:38 AM
Update: I understand why this amp is timeless. I also understand why its used so much in praise and worship bands. Its clean (on the normal channel), breaks up beautifully on the Top Boost, roundly chimy and brilliant with single coils, warm and present with humbuckers. Lots of tones on tap and can find anything to suit any genre, except metal. A touch of on board reverb and tremolo goes a long way. Dime all the knobbies and use the guitar volume control to get the tone you need... priceless. This amp is going nowhere fast.