PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Wah

ted s
January 6th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Hey folks, picked up a slightly used (still had plastic on it) "orignal" cry baby. Pretty slick but tough to coordinate, it is an instrument in itself.
I also have a bad monkey. Does it make any difference in the order of the chain ? Are there prefered orders ?

Thanks, all comments are appreciated

Ts

kerc
January 6th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I would say that you gotta see if you wanna distort the wah-ed sound, or if you wanna wah the distorted sound. I think there are no hard and fast rules--experiment...And post clips.

:D

Spudman
January 6th, 2007, 11:00 AM
You can try going either way, but you'll probably find that wah>distortion works the best.

duhvoodooman
January 6th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I got one of those, too. Mine has the plastic on the bottom, as well. Is yours the "original" CryBaby model, the GCB-95?

In general, the advice I've always read (and followed) is to have the wah pedal as the first thing that the guitar goes into, in front of the amp and all other pedals/effects.

BTW, if you have the GCB-95, it is not a "true bypass" pedal, meaning that your guitar signal still has to pass through its circuitry, even when it's turned off. This tends to cause some loss of high frequencies and volume, often referred to as "sucking tone" from the guitar. Several types of pedals can cause this, but wah's are particularly notorious for it. You can read about this effect HERE (http://www.muzique.com/lab/truebypass.htm), if you're interested. In any case, I've taken to removing the CryBaby from my pedal chain, when it's not actively in use. I may go ahead and replace the stock stomp switch with a 3PDT version and wire it for true bypass, if I get ambitious at some point.

ted s
January 6th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys, yes DVM it is the 95. I noticed that "tone sucking" now that you mention it.