PDA

View Full Version : NQNBD (Not Quite New Bass Day): Music Man Bongo 4HH

Eric
February 16th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Back in early December, I found a good deal on an EBMM Bongo 4HH on CL and bought it while traveling, but due to not being sure if I could get it on the plane, I left it with a friend in the area where I bought it. Fast forward to now and in a couple of weeks I will be reunited due to a visit from some people local to the area of purchase. I am super jazzed about it.

I played it a bit in the hotel room when I was visiting the area previously and found the wide, thin neck to be an interesting change of pace. I typically play a pretty chunky P with flats, and this seems like it will be a very different experience. Pretty thin but wide neck, light gauge rounds, active EQ, ready for some more articulate playing. I have a bunch of riffs I have been trying to pound out on the P, and I'm excited to try them on a bass probably better suited for it.

So this is kind of a buzzkill to post about a bass that's not even here yet, but rest assured, pictures will be forthcoming. Here's a sneak preview (hint: it's actually blue, not black as it appears):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okvwezi7w4ean89/bongo.jpg?dl=0

Spudman
February 16th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Sweet! Bongos rock. Dave LaRue (Flying Colors, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse Band) plays one.

http://getreadytorock.me.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/141013_fcolors1.jpg

Eric
February 16th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Sweet! Bongos rock. Dave LaRue (Flying Colors, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse Band) plays one.
Absolutely! Dave LaRue is one of my favorite bassists (primarily from Flying Colors, but he has gotten me into other stuff) and Blue Ocean is one of those bass riffs I am working on.

Tig
February 17th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Cool! :AOK
The world is a better place thanks to Music Man basses.

Spudman
February 17th, 2015, 10:00 AM
I saw Dave many years ago in a small bar in Idaho when he was playing with the Becker Brothers Trio. Didn't know who he was, but I did mention to the leader of the band that I thought he was one of the best bassists I'd ever seen. He must have been just a kid then.

marnold
February 17th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Cool! MM pickups have always been a little intimidating to me. My bass has EMG's take on one and I find it somewhat hard to control without my amph farting out. That may say as much about my amph as anything else.

MAXIFUNK
February 18th, 2015, 02:44 AM
Thanks to Louis Johnson the Music Man has had a huge following from the start but never liked the necks toooooooo darn big for me.
The tone is there in spades Congrats you'll enjoy lots of funk and roll in those basses!!!

Eric
February 27th, 2015, 09:13 PM

guitartango
February 28th, 2015, 02:36 AM

Nice Bass Eric, you are making me want to spend more on GAS. Happy playing