PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Les Paul Elitist Custom--Rediscovered

ZMAN
March 4th, 2015, 08:45 AM
I have owned a Les Paul Elitist Custom for many years and it kind of found a spot in the back of the the guitar room. I have had some Peripheral Neuropathy due to Chemo treatments. That is a loss of feeling in the fingers and bottoms of your feet and toes. I thought I might never play again but the feeling has come back considerably in the last couple of months. I found that playing was difficult. I decided to pull this guitar out due to the very light playing feel. I have D'addario 9.5s on it. These guitars are made in Japan and are some of the finest Les Pauls ever made. Mine is the wine red with gold hardware. It has the Epi branded Gibson pickups and sounds amazing. It has become my number one guitar and I am very happy that I can play again.
I have several Gibson LPs and Sgs and this guitar stands up to them very well.
I just wanted to let people know if they get an opportunity to acquire one they should jump on it. Mine also came with a hardshell case. I bought it on a blowout sale at Musicians Friend. I will try to post a picture.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/winered.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/Stewz/media/winered.jpg.html)

duhvoodooman
March 4th, 2015, 09:39 AM
That's a beauty!! I had an Elitist LP Standard for several years that I also acquired when MF was blowing out the last of their stock. Outstanding guitar, certainly rivaling (or surpassing) US-made LP Standards. I sold it when I bought my R9, otherwise I'd still have it.

ZMAN
March 4th, 2015, 10:09 AM
I just looked it up and that was 2004. How time flies.

duhvoodooman
March 4th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I bought mine in Dec. 2005.

Tig
March 4th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Sweet, ZMAN! I love a good wine red LP.
Welcome back to playing. I'm really happy you recovered so well and can again enjoy creating music. :dance

guitartango
March 4th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Please do not post this again ZMAN, as you are making me want to buy another Les Paul ..... Love the colour. Just sold my Studio Gibson to pay for a Classic 2014 Gibson

:dance

ZMAN
March 4th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I bought mine in Dec. 2005.

You might be right. The guitar is a 2004 and I think I bought it in 2005 around April.

tjcurtin1
March 4th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Sure is purty! More importantly, it's helped ease you back into playing... congrats!

piebaldpython
March 4th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Glad to hear you are back to playin' your gits. The peripheral neuropathy can be a bee-yotch.

marnold
March 4th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Very sharp indeed.

ZMAN
March 5th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Glad to hear you are back to playin' your gits. The peripheral neuropathy can be a bee-yotch.

You got that right. Playing guitar is only the tip of the ice berg for me. Doing up shirt buttons, tying your shoes, and coat zippers, is huge for me.
I am always surprised at how the human body can adapt, itself.
Unfortunately I jumped the gun and sold a lot of fine guitars. But I am left with the cream of my collection so there is always a good side to every story.

ZMAN
March 5th, 2015, 08:02 AM
That's a beauty!! I had an Elitist LP Standard for several years that I also acquired when MF was blowing out the last of their stock. Outstanding guitar, certainly rivaling (or surpassing) US-made LP Standards. I sold it when I bought my R9, otherwise I'd still have it.

I have a question for you. When you received your guitar from MF did it come with the Elitist case? Mine came with a case with the "Epiphone" logo, but not the "Epiphone Elitist" logo that I have seen on others. I figured either is was a return for a bad or broken case, or they swapped them with a cheaper case to make more money. The guitar was flawless.

duhvoodooman
March 5th, 2015, 09:23 AM
I have a question for you. When you received your guitar from MF did it come with the Elitist case? Mine came with a case with the "Epiphone" logo, but not the "Epiphone Elitist" logo that I have seen on others. I figured either is was a return for a bad or broken case, or they swapped them with a cheaper case to make more money. The guitar was flawless.
I'm pretty sure it came with an Elitist case. I have several photos of the guitar but I can't find one of the case, so I can't confirm it, but that's my strong recollection.

MAXIFUNK
March 8th, 2015, 10:58 PM
ZMAN glad to hear your playing again Bro you were always willing and tolerant to my newbie questions ROCK ON ZMAN!

Jipes
March 9th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Great guitar ZMAn I'm happy to read that you get your sensitivity back that's great news I wish you a complete recovery and lots of enjoyments why playing your Lespaul :thumbsup

ZMAN
March 9th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys. It was a real bummer when I first found I had the problem. But the alternative was worse. The doctors said the feeling "might" come back and everyone is different. I guess our bodies learn to adapt. I tried all of my Les Pauls and this one is the only one with the lighter strings. I had gone to 10s for more sustain. I have a set of 9.5 Daddarios on the Custom. Not much different but seem to be easier to bend and fret. The major issue was my pick hand, I could not feel the pick in my fingers. Now I can and it makes a huge difference. All I can say is never give up.
Thanks again guys!!!

martyjward
December 26th, 2016, 06:44 AM
That is a thing of beauty.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk