PDA

View Full Version : at last, a NGD

helliott
March 22nd, 2015, 03:44 PM
Been a while, but I have a new member arriving in the next day or so. Been on the watch for another Tele style guitar. Love my Baha Tele for its diverse tones, but the pickups aren't very robust. Wanted something that will roar a bit more and still give me Tele bite -- compliment to the Strat sounds. Did a fair bit of reading and settled on taking a chance on an inexpensive axe.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Slick-SL50-Aged-Sunburst-Dual-Telecaster-Pickups-_p_11273.html

Like the sounds of it, and the reviews I have read are all quite positive. No tone knob will be weird for me, but it'll be something new. If it doesn't work out, the investment isn't huge. I think it will though. Like the no nonsense approach of this guitar. Interested too to see how the barely painted body compares to the rest I have -- thin poly on the Tele, heavy poly on the Strat, nitro on the LP...

Slick is through customs and should arrive soon so I'll keep ya posted.

piebaldpython
March 22nd, 2015, 07:09 PM
Congrats......looking forward to some clips.

duhvoodooman
March 24th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Yeah, tough to go wrong with that one! I've been reading some good reviews of those Slick guitar models! Congrats.

Robert
March 24th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Awesome! You know, I've contemplating getting one of those too! I just thought the shipping and customs got a bit expensive....

duhvoodooman
March 25th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Recent review of that guitar in Premier Guitar: http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/201504_1#pg149

helliott
March 25th, 2015, 06:54 PM
I got it a day or so ago. So far so good. Yes, Robert, the shipping is expensive compared to the purchase price. Maybe better in the U.S.

I got the sunburst as opposed to the white one. Agree with the review that concludes the overall finish effect isn't great -- kinda cheesy. But I also have a tangerine strat that looks like 1982 but sounds great, so...

No out of the box problems for me. Plugged and played pretty well. Few minor height adjustments to raise action on higher strings for slide.

Generally really like the tone.

Guitar is neck heavy, but not alarmingly so.

I will try to do some demo on the weekend since we're not gigging.