PDA

View Full Version : Test your hearing

Robert
March 29th, 2015, 11:13 AM
How is your hearing? Give it a try! Test yourself, to see which frequencies are missing for you. Warning - start by dragging the slider left, to lower the volume, initially. You type in the frequency.

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/432Hz.html

I've recently gotten hearing aids, because of playing too many years with loud bands. They help to a certain degree.

My upper limit seems to be 5300 hz and lower limit 33 hz... even with hearing aids.

Now you should do this test with quality headphones or speakers. Be careful with the volume!

What is your upper limit?

I have good ability to hear relative pitch, but high frequencies - nope. It kind of makes me worried mixing songs... anything above 5000 hz will be pure guesswork for me. Anyone here with such knowledge about mixing music? Perhaps those higher frequencies aren't so important or common anyway?

tjcurtin1
March 29th, 2015, 07:21 PM
I was a little afraid to try this - I remember as a teenager working in a Radio Shack; a middle aged guy came in to return speakers he just bought because he had played a test record through them at home and they did not have the advertised frequency response. So I hooked them up in the sound room and played his test record. His face fell when he realized that I could indeed hear all of the test tones...

Anyway, I was surprised to find that I still have 35 - 12,000. I was imagining that noisy environments (power tools) had probably done me more damage than that.

Tig
March 30th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Wow, my lower frequencies are shot.
My range using sine waves: 43 Hz to 10,700 Hz.

EDIT: I could be my headphones.
http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/styles/default/xenforo/smilies//old_man_SMILEY.gif
Now get off my lawn!

Jimi75
March 31st, 2015, 03:25 AM
My result was 14100 - the average for my age (40) is 14200.

Jipes
March 31st, 2015, 03:42 AM
20Hz sounds still clear to me but my upper limit is 12800 Hz apparently ( I don't have a good headphone)

Robert
March 31st, 2015, 10:29 AM
Showoffs.

marnold
March 31st, 2015, 02:15 PM
Once I'm over the flu or whatever this is I'll have to try this. I know my hearing is still not back to normal.