PDA

View Full Version : Variax 700 - the real sound...

Jimi75
January 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Oh my goodness, I found this small clip I recorded for a friend.

I used the Variax 700 that I had to sell because I blew my amp and had to buy a new one - I had to sacrifice the guitar...

This guitar was great! Great feel and beautiful sounds and superb workmanship.

The track is recorded mainly with the acoustic models, a Dobro national played with slide the Sitar and the 12-string model.

This clip is recorded directly to the sound card - no studio fakes like on the Line6 sides.

Please enjoy.

Spudman
January 7th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Those are some great sounds coming from just one source. The Variax seems like a good tool for a studio.

marnold
January 7th, 2007, 05:05 PM
That's pretty cool. I've heard very good things about the Variax. The 700 is the higher-level one, right?

tot_Ou_tard
January 7th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Great stuff Jimi. I'm quite amazed actually.

stingx
January 7th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Wow! I always thought the Variax was all hype and a toy. That was a beautiful sounding piece. I like your playing. Thank you for posting that...a real eye, err ear opener :)

SuperSwede
January 8th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Jimi75, that was brilliant! Now I really want a Variax!

Jimi75
January 8th, 2007, 06:07 AM
It's no hype. The Variax is a versatile tool that opens new gates really.

There is no difference regarding the technical aspect. I chose the 700, because the handling was way better than with the 300 and 600, although those are very good guitars, too.

Thanks for the nice compliments on the playing!

jpfeifer
January 21st, 2007, 11:07 AM
Wow, I have major GAS for one of these. This would be perfect for my needs. If this guitar plays decent and the electronics are reliable I might try to get one of these someday.

I tried the first version of the Variax guitars when they first came out a few years ago. I thought the concept was very cool, and a lot of the tones were very useful, but at that time the guitar itself was a piece of junk and the electronics seemed to rely on a large battery pack. This turned me off to it. But from what I've heard this new model (Variax 700) is the real deal and reliable enough to gig with. I saw a concert last summer (Michael McDonald) and his guitar player was playing one of these. It sounded fantastic. He was using it to get a combination of Les Paul, 335, and Tele tones.

But I really like the idea of using it to get some decent acoustic guitar tones also. I would use that feature a lot for some of the things that I play for. It would be cool to have a signal splitter or A/B box and send the one signal to a PA or acoustic amp (only for the acoustic guitar tones) and the other to my regular amp (Vox). That would be the ultimate setup.

Do you own this guitar? Are you happy with it?

Thanks, -- Jim

Hogfullofblues
January 21st, 2007, 11:14 AM
Must have missed this first time around. Superb tone and playing. Thanks!

jpfeifer
January 21st, 2007, 02:53 PM
Jimi75,

In the excitement about the Variax I forgot to mention some feedback about your playing, sorry about that.

I really liked the track especially the way that you used these tones together on different tracks, the sitar and the resonator guitar parts are very nice. Great touch and really nicely played parts.

-- Jim

Jimi75
January 21st, 2007, 03:44 PM
Jimi75,

In the excitement about the Variax I forgot to mention some feedback about your playing, sorry about that.

I really liked the track especially the way that you used these tones together on different tracks, the sitar and the resonator guitar parts are very nice. Great touch and really nicely played parts.

-- Jim

THANK YOU for your kind words!