PDA

View Full Version : Burnt my left hand

Jimi75
June 29th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Hey folks,

wasn't too busy posting here, because I severely burnt my left hand. The high pressure cooking pot's ventile had a defect and so the cover "flew" away and the boiling water...you guess it...
It was horrible pain and I had to cool it for two entire days until the pain became bearable. The doctor said due to my quick reaction and not losing any time until I cooled the hand saved me from a tissue damage. Nonetheless my hand looks zombie. The skin peels off, but since Sunday I am able to play guitar again. Not being able to play was hell! However, count me in again here...

marnold
June 29th, 2015, 07:42 AM
Ouch, ouch, ouch! As a hand injury veteran myself, I feel your pain! Very glad to hear that your recovery time will be mercifully short. The way you describe the accident, it's surprising that that's the only part of you that was hurt.

Tig
June 29th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Wow, I'm glad it wasn't any worse. You did right by using cold water right away.

This is always a fear of mine, burning a hand or fingers. I have no Django talent to fall back on!

Jimi75
June 29th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Ouch, ouch, ouch! As a hand injury veteran myself, I feel your pain! Very glad to hear that your recovery time will be mercifully short. The way you describe the accident, it's surprising that that's the only part of you that was hurt.

I jumped back, my friend. Some drops on the belly and the rest of the water spread throughout the new kitchen...wanna guess how my wife reacted? ;-)

The part that feared me most was that the next day my hand was very dark. Doctor said that's because of the increased blood circulation. Now that the skin peels I can detect some slight damage on the epidermis underneath.

helliott
June 29th, 2015, 03:57 PM
That is some scary stuff. Glad it seems to be working out. I am pretty paranoid myself and will probably start wearing gloves around the stove. Not really, but I do get freaked out about hand injuries. Guy I play with has had his hands bashed to heck and just keeps playing -- screws through his finger and the whole thing. Me, I am a total hand suck.

Jipes
June 30th, 2015, 01:46 AM
I'm really sorry to hear what happened Jimi, glad you had this quick reaction that probably helped a lot. Happy to hear that you can play again, not being abkle to play is a true nightmare

Robert
June 30th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Whoa, I know you've always been a hot player, but.... !! (sorry)

Take care of that, brother. Not being able to play is punishment - I recently had a few weeks of no playing due to repetitive stress injury.

tjcurtin1
July 8th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Man, Jimi - I can imagine you must have been pretty upset wondering how much damage there was to your hand and how it would affect your playing... Really glad to hear that it will be OK - but it still sounds pretty bad from your description! I can't imagine that you would already be able to play with it! But my brother was the same way when he put his left hand palm in the table saw. He just started to play again as soon as he possibly could and now he is fine. Best of luck recovering!

Jimi75
July 9th, 2015, 01:35 AM
Thanks for you kind words guys! The healing went pretty well so far and almost all of the burnt skin peeled off so far. Gotta be careful with the new skin, still very white, and currently we had temperatures around 108 degrees here in Germany. Today's the first cool day again :-) However, I was lucky because my palm wasn't burned - this helps a lot and so I can play guitar. No more pain on the burned parts - am back to normal almost. Will check with the doctor one more time. He already said that I prevented tissue damage by constantly cooling!

Katastrophe
July 13th, 2015, 05:41 AM
Jeez, Jimi! Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Robert
July 16th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Hope you recover fully!