PDA

View Full Version : Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Katastrophe
August 11th, 2015, 05:18 AM
I found a group o' musicians to jam with!

I met a singer / acoustic guitar player at church, and he introduced me to the drummer and bass player. We had an informal jam last night, just going over a bunch of cover tunes. I had a blast! Being primarily a rock player (who's played a country tune every once in a while), it's a challenge to think about music in terms of major keys. Also, the acoustic guitarist plays with a capo that's in different positions for each song, so there's transcribing on the fly. I love it! I've had to get away from looking at the dots on the fretboard and use some of that theory that I learned all those years ago.

Through these guys, I've found that there is a small group of musicians that gig around nearby towns, and earn some extra walking around money. Woo Hoo!

ADDITIONALLY, the bass player plays guitar, and we're all Fender fans. I MIGHT have a chance to play through a Princeton on our next jam session. That's pretty cool for me, since I've only played through solid state / hybrid / digital amphs. I've played a few tube amphs at GC, but never at live music volumes, without someone running over and telling me to turn down.

tjcurtin1
August 13th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Kat - congrats! Sounds like fun! Have a blast....

Katastrophe
August 13th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Thank you, sir!

FrankenFretter
August 13th, 2015, 10:29 PM
There's nothing that compares to jamming with a full band. Really glad to hear that you found some folks to jam with, Kat!
It will make you a better player, guaranteed. And you'll have a lot of fun doing it, too.

Jipes
August 14th, 2015, 01:09 AM
Very happy for you Kat playing a jam with a full band is alyways great, I wish you all the best for the next steps :thumbsup

Katastrophe
August 16th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Thank you, FF and Jipes!

FrankenFretter, for sure, I'm having to break some bad habits, by having to play in different keys, and using different chord shapes.

Robert
August 16th, 2015, 10:52 PM
That's awesome! Keep at it and have fun!

Sent from my Macintosh telephone using Tapatalk.