PDA

View Full Version : NGD: great deal on a 60th anniversary American Strat

helliott
August 14th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Wasn't really planning on this, but the deal was too sweet. Thing was already a good price for a U.S. Strat. I had a couple of old amps and a half dozen pedals looking to unload and Long&McQuade gave me a good price on all of them. Bottom line, a new American Standard Strat for a few hundred cash outlay.

Been wanting a standard strat for some time. I love my 2004 deluxe series HSS, but wanted a change for different pickup options. The bridge bucker is nice but doesn't give that classic Strat sound, obviously. Well, this thing sure does. Classic Fat 50s pickups are a real joy in all 5 positions. The bridge PU is awesome classic bright Strat tone. The out of phase positions are quacky as heck and just a lot of fun and the neck pup is just what you'd expect. These pups really cut too, quite a bit more than the ones on my HHS.

Also love the C neck. Just a perfect blend of heft and speed. And the back of the neck is matt light finish. Heard some criticism of tuning stability but once I stretched and used the bar for a couple of days it stayed in tune just fine. Pretty happy with the thing, especially since it wasn't too much cash. The appearance of mine is just what you see in the link. Love the colour which Fender calls Arctic white and I call cream. Happy camper here.

http://www.makenmusic.com/fender-american-standard-stratocaster-strat-60th-anniversary-limited-edition-custom-shop-pickups-vintage-white-tortoise-01720219741.html

piebaldpython
August 14th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Congrats on the Strat. How is it for slide? Lookin' forward to some clips with your new baby.

helliott
August 14th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Thanks PB. The setup is low and I'm still playing the factory 9s which aren't ideal for slide. That said it's not too bad. Might end up using the HSS for slide as it's wonderful that way. Always need a spare guit on the rack for string safety, just a matter of which one. But I'm going to work some slide on the new one and see how it goes. Will post some clips at some point when I have time.

tjcurtin1
August 14th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Congrats! That color is so much nicer than a plain white, and looks great with the tortoise guard.

Katastrophe
August 16th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Congratulations! Looks like you got a great deal!

Robert
August 16th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Beauty, congrats!

Jipes
August 17th, 2015, 03:00 AM
Nice axe Helliot :thumbsup I agree with the other the colour is wonderful with the tortoise pickguard it sure fits nicely

helliott
August 17th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys. Still pretty pleased. Two other things I really like: The body finish is thinner than typical on other Strats I have had. That makes the guitar more resonant acoustically and I think it helps with sustain. And I'm surprised how useful the compound radius neck thing is. It's rounder near the nut and flattens out as you get higher. That means slide playing is easier overall as I generally play slide from the 5-6 fret upward.