PDA

View Full Version : I'll meet Tedeschi/Trucks this Saturday!!!

Jimi75
November 10th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Hey folks,

Can't believe how great 2015 is, so far! This Saturday I will interview Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks :-)
I will link the video here of course, once it is edited!

Do you guys have any questions in mind? I will try to set up a personal interview without the typical phrases.

Greetz
J75

Tig
November 10th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Awesome! What a great band that really keeps music interesting and fresh. When people say that they don't think there is any good music anymore, I point them to the Tedeschi Trucks Band. I can't think of anything to ask other than "what musical direction or albums can we expect from the Tedeschi Trucks Band in the future?". Give them some room and they'll open up with great responses. Perhaps these recent interviews will help you keep it interesting for them as well as your viewers:

https://youtu.be/6jygK7JEDYU

https://youtu.be/C0-YS0FqmqA

Jimi75
November 10th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks Tig for the link and input! I will check them and come up with my special catalogue of questions.

duhvoodooman
November 11th, 2015, 08:23 AM
He's probably answered it before, but I've always wondered why, in a world full of Strats, Teles, LP's and PRS's, Derek Trucks chose the SG as his main guitar. Nothing against the SG, but you don't see that many top-tier guitarists playing them.

tjcurtin1
November 11th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Very cool , Jimi - I know you'll do a great job given your background as a player. Have fun!

helliott
November 11th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Much as I could geek out on guitar questions for Derek, I am more interested overall in how they write and arrange songs. Does he do most of the structure and riffage, do they share that?
Who does most of the lyrics on their own stuff? What is it like to write and compose as a couple as opposed to two band members? And, as a band person, how the heck to they manage to hear everything when there is so much going on at the same time on stage. I saw them a couple of years ago, and it was amazing to me that they could communicate between themselves and with other band members with so many people on such a small (Danforth Music Hall) stage.
Great and deserved honour Jimi. Enjoy.
OK, one geeky question: What was it like to play Dwayne's Goldtop on one of the final ABB shows? Spooky or what?

Tig
November 12th, 2015, 07:10 AM
He's probably answered it before, but I've always wondered why, in a world full of Strats, Teles, LP's and PRS's, Derek Trucks chose the SG as his main guitar. Nothing against the SG, but you don't see that many top-tier guitarists playing them.

All I know is he started playing them early.
http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3olpuWsaX1r1536ro1_540.jpg

Jipes
November 12th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Great opportunity Jimi, I would love to ask him dozens of questions but I would ask him how he first got exposed to indian music and whether he listen to mohan veena players like Vishwa Mohan Bhatt and if it had a great influence on his legato slide playing

Robert
November 12th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Ask him how he sets up his gear - how he finds his tone. How loud does he need to turn up his amp? What amps does he used when touring? Is he using any pedals?

duhvoodooman
November 12th, 2015, 09:52 AM
All I know is he started playing them early.
And he was already running it through his signature Super Reverb back then! Cool pic!

Jimi75
November 12th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks my friends! So much great input! I think Derek plays no pedals. Indian music influence will be a question, some personal stuff, too. I've watched several interviews and try to do my best. The SG topic is a cool one, also how they get there sound in an 11-piece ensemble - we will see, I think I have time for 6-7 questions so gotta choose wisely :-)

I will share the experience with you guys.

stingx
November 12th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Sounds like fun. Good luck!

marnold
November 12th, 2015, 07:54 PM
That sounds like an awesome opportunity, Jimi! I fear I would fall back into the old Chris Farley SNL skit: "Remember when you were in the Allman Brothers? That was awesome."

Jimi75
November 16th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Hi friends,

The interview went extremely awesome and Susan and Derek invited my wife and kids to join the show. We've practically spent the entire day with the band...can you imagine what great of a day this was?
The video material is under editing and I will upload it tomorrow evening. If you wanna see a first photo you can take a look at it here:
https://www.facebook.com/jimmysteeltown/

The guy besides Derek is our singer, who was with me that day.

tjcurtin1
November 16th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Very cool, Jimi - that must have been amazing!

Tig
November 17th, 2015, 06:36 AM
They have been posting teaser samples of their upcoming album, Let Me Get By, on Instagram this week.
The album details and release date should be posted on their website today.
http://tedeschitrucksband.com/

Jimi75
November 17th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Yeah they also played some new songs at the concert. Simply amazing!
By the way, I have already uploaded the interviews to my channel and have green light to publish them by the end of this week :-)

Robert
November 18th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jipes
November 19th, 2015, 02:38 AM
That's great I'm looking forward !!!!!

Jimi75
November 22nd, 2015, 01:03 AM
Interview is online:
https://youtu.be/sHmJXwqn40s

Time was tight and I would have loved to comment more on the answers...but I think and hope you'll like it anyways ;.))

piebaldpython
November 22nd, 2015, 10:13 AM
Very good interview. Kudos!

tjcurtin1
November 22nd, 2015, 06:03 PM
That was fun seeing you sitting in the middle of the two and so comfortably conducting your interview - well done!

helliott
November 22nd, 2015, 09:07 PM
Speaking as a working journalist who has done many interviews, I thought you did a great job. Congrats. I have not met the two, but from what I have heard from others who have, Derek and Susan are really down to earth folks. Did you find that, or what were your impressions?

Jimi75
November 23rd, 2015, 12:17 AM
Thanks for your kind feedback my friends. Susan and Derek are totally down to earth people, very kind. I've rarely met friendlier artists who are professional musicians.
The whole interview thing is something that comes on top and is a privilege, my main focus is of course playing the guitar myself and being on stage :-)

Tig
November 23rd, 2015, 08:03 AM
Excellent interview! :socool

Jipes
November 23rd, 2015, 08:33 AM
Very good Job Jimi you'got it right. Thanks for asking the nice questions it's interesting :thumbsup