PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Running El84's

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Anybody running EL84'S in their amps... wondering what you are using , and if you have tried either jj teslas or electro-harmonix ... 6S9L

Tone2TheBone
January 9th, 2007, 09:45 AM
4 of the J&Js in my Classic 30. Haven't tried anything but the JJs.

warren0728
January 9th, 2007, 10:00 AM
el84's in my classic 20 and an el84 in my valve jr. all are jj's and i love them. got them from bob at eurotubes....he knows his stuff.

ww

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I have to re-tube a Traynor ygm3 guitar mate reverb , the original tubes are still fine (mullard) so i'll put those away to sell with the amp at some future point . i'm leaning towards the EH tubes as they are a reissue/copy of the mullard el-84 and the traynor is very vox /marshall like in circuitry .. but have heard great things about the reliability of jj tubes regarding heat dissapation . Thanks lads ..

duhvoodooman
January 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
JJ EL-84's from EuroTubes in both my Peavey Delta Blues (4) and Valve Jr. (1). Love 'em....

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2007, 12:52 PM
el84's in my classic 20 and an el84 in my valve jr. all are jj's and i love them. got them from bob at eurotubes....he knows his stuff.

ww

Also in my Peavey Classic 30. Just the ones it came with, Sovtek. Paired with 12ax7 Fender groovetubes (which are actually just sovteks with another label thrown over the top). So far, I am still in love. Huge horny honeymoon period with this amp. ;)

stingx
January 9th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Peavey Classic 30 - Running Early Breakup JJs from Eurotubes. They make a huge difference.

Spudman
January 9th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Huge horny honeymoon period with this amp. ;)

You should make this your signature. LOL:D

Tone2TheBone
January 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Huge horny honeymoon period with this amp. ;)

Agrees. Steve, sounds like you're doing some marathon "tone-making" there buddy. LMAO :DR

duhvoodooman
January 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Huge horny honeymoon period with this amp.
So that's what "triple H" stands for, huh? ;)

tot_Ou_tard
January 9th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Yes! That's up there with the Fret classic

"With this amph, I get no screaming solos".

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Done. Back to the honeymoon.

warren0728
January 9th, 2007, 05:54 PM
i like it.... :D :DR :DR :D

ww

Nelskie
January 23rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
Let's see if we can get this thread back on a constructive tangent.

From hanging around here on FN, one might start thinking that J & J's were the only vacuum tube on the planet. Even though they're a excellent-sounding tubes, and very reliable, there are a lot of choices out there. Here's a straight take on a few brands of EL-84 I've used recently.

Prior to re-tubing my Classic 30 with J & J's, I was running Groove Tubes (both EL84's and 12AX-7's). The big difference I noted between the GT's and the J & J's was the touch-responsiveness for clean and lower gain tones, and warmer mids and highs (think Frampton). The J & J's tended to have a smoother, more even break-up, which I also thought lent itself more effectively to pedal usage. The Groove Tubes were slightly brighter-sounding, quicker to break-up, with a bit more edge on the mids and highs (think Slash).

I am currently running an Electro Harmonix EL-84 EH in my Valve Jr. head, which is paired with a Groove Tubes 12AX7-M, and that duo together creates some pretty spectacular tones (think early 70's Townshend). To my ears, the EH adds some much needed bite to the Jr's somewhat-middy timbre, and the GT 12AX7-M provides just the right amount of warmth to even things out. The J & J EL84 I'm running in my Valve Jr. combo isn't quite as bright as the EH in my head, though it does seem to carry a bit more weight on the bottom end. The EH's tend to pull a little more current, too, which I think would be a plus for amps with a Vox-like circuit design - like a Traynor.

I've heard good things about the new Groove Tubes EL84-S's, so you might want to check them out, too. Apparently, the new tube design is much warmer than its predacessor, not to mention that it carries a bit more "oomph" power-wise.

I'd guess that you'd be satisfied with just about anything we've mentioned, to include the venerable J & J's - - which I, of course, fully endorse. For most newer tube amps (1990 - present), changing tubes is a simple, cost-effective way to experiment with tone. With the exception of pedals & pick-ups, there's probably isn't an easier way to give your sound a complete make-over.

BTW 69SL - hope you have better luck with this re-tube than the one you just did on your Vibro Toast . . . er, I mean Vibro Champ! ;)