PDA

View Full Version : Ashes to Ashes

guitartango
January 11th, 2016, 04:13 PM
So Long David Jones (David Bowie)

You will be missed

marnold
January 11th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Saw that this morning. I was surprised because his new album just came out. He must've wanted to get one last burst of creativity in. I hadn't heard that he had cancer.

Jimi75
January 12th, 2016, 12:37 AM
69/70 seems to become the new 27 club :-(
Never was a huge fan of his music, but he definitely was a versatile artist.
Probably jammin on Let's Dance along with SRV up there now.

Tig
January 12th, 2016, 10:25 AM
David followed no one. A true and rare individual in the music world.

I'll pass on a story from another forum:
"I've been a life long fan of David Bowie. I've seen him 8 times, but unfortunately not since his last tour with Adrian Belew, Sound and Vision in 1994ish.

But in 1983, I worked his 3 day run at the Rosemont Horizon on the Serious Moonlight tour.

One of the things I did for that venue was "chalk the floor". Every band put their soundboard in a slightly different spot. And the main floor seats were folding chairs. So, you'd find out where the soundboard would be, the Teamsters would set up the chairs and I would write in chalk "row A, seat 5, 10, 15, etc." so the ushers, in the dark, could accurately seat people

This was always done during soundcheck. Most bands had their techs perform it. Sometimes, one of the members of the band would be on stage.

Bowie would sit half way back, by himself, while Earl Slick and Carlos Alomar and others would play parts of the songs.

I left DB to himself, but on the third night, he chatted me up.

"How has the sound/show been the past two nights?". "Is the audience digging it?", etc. I answered him, enthusiastically of course.

We kept talking. He asked me about school and other things.

Then he says "we're about to have dinner backstage, what to join us?"

You know the answer to the question.

There were probably 15 people at the table, but he was the nicest, most down to earth and engaging mega talent you could ever meet."

Robert
January 12th, 2016, 10:29 AM
He was an innovator and a true original artist. Respect, and may you you dance in heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE1Zcngd3VA

marnold
January 12th, 2016, 05:31 PM
69/70 seems to become the new 27 club :-(
Never was a huge fan of his music, but he definitely was a versatile artist.
Probably jammin on Let's Dance along with SRV up there now.

Yep. Even if you didn't like him necessarily, he is the one who introduced SRV to the world.