PDA

View Full Version : NGD. I really didn't mean to.

Hampus
February 7th, 2016, 06:29 AM
I've always liked them and when one turbed up at a good price two blocks from where I live... GAS t8ld me to go. I told myself I could always flip it for somw profit. Now that I've played I want to keep it. What's wrong with me?

Hello, my name is Hampus, I suffer from GAS.

Danelectro '63 reissue. Probably a 2001 or 2002 but if anyone knows how to tell the year, please let me know.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160207/49815e3f9fad4ab30ef23c9aa3877189.jpg

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

sunvalleylaw
February 7th, 2016, 11:01 AM
That looks cool. I was born in '62 and someday hope to own some sort of guitar from that year (or a re-issue). I love that era "swimming pool" blue colors Fender and others had.

piebaldpython
February 7th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Nice score....has an SG vibe to it's shape. Wonder how it is for slide?

Hampus
February 7th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Thanks. Whenever I see the Danelectros I always see like a 60's setting, Miami style with surfboards and turqoise cars in my mind.

There are some very good videos on youtube with people playing slide on danelectros. I think they lend themselves quite well to that with the metallic twangy sound.

tjcurtin1
February 7th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Nice find! You won't regret it! I love my pawnshop-find Dano (a U-3 53 reissue - one year off my Bday, which definitely made it call to me!) - in fact, I like its tone better than my CV strat. It has some stratish sounds but with a different color along with some that are unique but great. It does a lovely job with slide - syrupy-clean with some chime. Plays really nicely, too, with the short scale.

I've read that the date is sometimes stamped on the inside of the control cavity, but I couldn't make out what the numbers in mine meant. I had the neck off - nothing there. The visuals are great, too - cool shapes and colors, and there is something about the look of a lipstick pup. The one thing to watch out for is the bridge - mine had sagged in the middle, a common problem; you can buy replacement bridges that are supposed to be made out of a stronger metal. I took mine off, removed the saddles, and gently hammered it flat between two pieces of leather on my workbench. Then I fitted a piece of hardwood underneath it after it was back in place, so that it wouldn't bend again. Some of the Danos had a wooden bridge, and I've read that some people feel that putting a support shim under the metal bridge increases sustain.

Robert
February 7th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Cool, I'd like have one of those.

Congratulations!

Hampus
February 7th, 2016, 05:52 PM
Thanks. It plays really well, on par with my Fender stratocaster.

There's a sound sample here but I apologise for my poor guitar skills. Just listen to the guitar and never mind me playing it...

https://soundcloud.com/hampus-mattsson-846784717/sets/danelectro-63-reissue-test

hubberjub
February 7th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Congrats. I love Danos. I have two modern reissues and a Jerry Jones. They have a sound of their own. Enjoy.

helliott
February 16th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Very cool looking. What are the pickups like? The neck looks rather wide, but that may just be the angle. A fast play or not? What a neat pickup. Can you post a clip perhaps?

Hampus
February 17th, 2016, 06:44 AM
Very cool looking. What are the pickups like? The neck looks rather wide, but that may just be the angle. A fast play or not? What a neat pickup. Can you post a clip perhaps?
Hey.

Pickups are great. You get very twangy sounds from the bridge while the neck will give you a surprising ammount of very warm lows. Action is quite low and it's very comfortable to play. I'd say the neck width is the same as my Fender Stratocaster but a littke bit fatter. It looks wider partly because of the angle and partly because it's shorter with only 19 frets. Samples are in the soundcloud link a few posts above and another one here:

https://soundcloud.com/hampus-mattsson-846784717/challenge-148

helliott
February 17th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Cool. Sorry for missing the link. And don`t apologize. We`re all just playin as best we can.