PDA

View Full Version : Grohl plays guitar like drums?!

sunvalleylaw
February 10th, 2016, 08:19 AM
I disagree with his statement that lessons don't help, but found his approach to guitar interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixo-MQ0u6SA

Also interesting is how he approaches dynamics similarly to how he would handle his cymbals in terms of when he lets strings ring (chorus) and tightens it up (verse).

tjcurtin1
February 15th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Always interesting to hear natural musicians talk about how they do what they do. By 'natural musician' I mean those people who can pick up an instrument - almost no matter what - and just start playing things/figuring it out - in a few minutes. I have friends like that and I'm always amazed at that ability. Then there are the rest of us, who just have to work at it!

Jimi75
February 15th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Fabulous musician he is. There's no therory math going on in his brain - he's a very fine player. His approach is pretty cool.

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Fabulous musician he is. There's no therory math going on in his brain - he's a very fine player. His approach is pretty cool.

I don't disagree at all. He may or may not have learned much about theory. To hear him tell it, he did not and does not know much more beyond basic chords. I pretty much just think the idea he expresses regarding the rhythmic approach, and how he uses lower and higher strings very interesting.

Jimi75
February 16th, 2016, 06:42 AM
The interviewers look at 0:54 says it all - he's like hypnotized, realizing that there really is such a kick snare pattern motive in Grohl's music, or better said, seeing things through Grohls eyes.
I was also like - yeah no I understand. The thing about loose and tight strings in the mix of verse and chorus is classic, but also here, seeing it through Grohl's glasses....yeah, very nice inside.

Imagining what Jimi Hendrix was really talking about, when he mentioned the sounds in his head being colours, rainbows and astral notes and unicorns, was way more difficult ;-))))