PDA

View Full Version : Two weird stories, one gig

helliott
February 28th, 2016, 04:51 PM
Small place, dive really. But the owner treats us pretty well and the regulars like us... Friday night last...

My guitar partner and I both use and like the EH organ machine. Adds some spice to a two guitar four piece. We always test pre show and all was good. We start Band on the Run, where I use the EH C9 to emulate the little trilly things originally done on synth. Nothing there. Power to the board, fine, but hit the pedal, all quiet. Just a small part of the tune but it didn't sound legit without it.
Same set, black. Magic woman/ gypsy queen, where james plays the organ part on his E H. Same deal. Two pedals, fine preshow, both crap out same set. Sheesh

Second story. Playing my main strat (anniversary edition). Flip the pup selector from out of phase treble to neck. The wee plastic selector tip flies off ... I mean flies. Must have flicked harder than intended. I see it in the air and instinctively reach out and catch it. In my left hand. Then it's, oh crap, pick and tip and lede coming... So naturally I popped it into my mouth for safe keeping. I mean who wouldn't? That little cream tip hits the floor among all the boards, taped cable, cords and detritus, and it will never be found.

Then, of course, I nearly swallow it. Didn't though and stuck between my teeth for the rest of the song.

Didn't notice the lady at a nearby table had been watching the whole episode. At break, getting a beer, she sidles up and asks if all that was part of the show. Sheesh again.

Jipes
February 29th, 2016, 03:47 AM
The selector thing happened to me several times on my 78 Thinline Telecaster, I finally fixed it with paste glue to not have to look around all the time :thumbsup

jtees4
February 29th, 2016, 11:34 AM
So both EH died, never came back on....and still don't work? It would have to be an el;electricity issue, electricity problems affect different things in different ways. As far as the switch tip....assuming the lady was HOT...you should have said "I was just trying to impress on you what I can do with my mouth".

Spudman
February 29th, 2016, 06:23 PM
I played a club close to an electrical transformer station and I lost several pedals because of current surges, including my cherished TS9 that I got in high school back in the 70s. Luckily I fixed that myself. But I was pissed. Sorry about having problems with your organs (tee hee).

Now let me tell you about the night I fell into my stack and ended up on my back on top of the speakers finishing the song....

tjcurtin1
February 29th, 2016, 06:34 PM
So funny - as I was reading, I had popped that plastic tip in my mouth before I got to that part - I could just picture the "oh crap, pick and tip and lede coming" and mentally I went right there - must be a natural response...

However, I would not have thought of continuing to play on my back on top of a speaker cab, Spud!

helliott
February 29th, 2016, 07:55 PM
Yeah, it seems many can relate. The organ thingies appear to be fine. They have
their own power source, so dirty power is what someone said. Just weird.

If I fall on to a stack, I'm packin it in. Good for you for keepin on Spud.

Spudman
March 1st, 2016, 11:46 AM
The show must go on! Besides, I was pretty buzzed at the time so it wasn't much different from actually standing up. I actually think most people didn't even notice because as we hung out in the venue afterwards nobody even mentioned it to me other than the guys on stage. Stealth crash.

Jimi75
March 1st, 2016, 11:56 AM
Hand a power issue once. The amp was one, but somehow also dead. Had to borrow a Fender DLX from the band that supported us at that gig.

The tip catch story is cool. I bet the lady was pretty excited ;-)