PDA

View Full Version : Oldtimer but new here.

Johnny Z
January 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Been playing music since I was 9. I was playing trombone in the 4 grade orchestra but quit after a year and started guitar at 10. After 47 years I still play guitar, I hope better than I did trombone. I do my own repairs but I'm not a "Amp Tech", I have a real job and also play a few gigs now and then. Played in a lot of bands in my 20's and toured the west coast from San Diego to Vancouver BC in a country rock band. Now days I mostly play Jazz and old RR some Blues and R&B. I'm kind of a Jack of all trades. I own a small ranch in Oregon and built my own home, one dollar at a time, no bank loans no morgage, just hard labor, you want to know something, it was worth it because it's all mine.

I'm no expert on music, amps or much of anything but I may have some answers to specific questions and like to chat.

JZ

Robert
January 10th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Welcome Johnny, you'll fit right in here with this crowd.

Great to hear like to play jazz, we don't have too many jazz players here. I do a bit of that too, or at least I try to.

Tim
January 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Hi Johnny Z. Dang man you just explained my dream home. Have you been in my head? Welcome to the Fret Net. Sometimes mistaken for the Old Timers home.

ted s
January 10th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Hey Johnny Z, welcome ! That's a heck of a project building your own ranch no less. Looking forward to hearing you.

Ted

warren0728
January 10th, 2007, 01:05 PM
welcome Johnny Z....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Welcome! Your ranch story reminds me of Neil Young's Old Man intro from '70s tv. Doubt he worked quite as hard building his though. I am a Washington state native and have lived in Oregon. I am northern intermountain now but love the pacific nw. Welcome. I also like to chat. :D Where in OR are you?

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM
hey welcome .... what Warren said... enjoy your time here .

Spudman
January 10th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Welcome. That's not a cat ranch is it? Holsteins are easier to milk. FYI.

duhvoodooman
January 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Gald to have you here, Johnny Z! Welcome to TheFret....

Johnny Z
January 10th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Welcome! Your ranch story reminds me of Neil Young's Old Man intro from '70s tv. Doubt he worked quite as hard building his though. I am a Washington state native and have lived in Oregon. I am northern intermountain now but love the pacific nw. Welcome. I also like to chat. :D Where in OR are you?

East of Klamath Falls. I should explain it's not a real ranch, I don't raise animals except for our own use, chickens, a pig or 2 now and then and a sheep or 2 mostly for our own meat. Cows are to much problem and I don't have the desire to deal with them, I did raise a few years ago. I do have 15+ acres of good Pondrosa Pine forest land and enjoy the space, no neighbors looking out their window at us.

Mostly I like spending my spare time playing music, I'm not in a real band anymore but sometimes I'll do a gig with friends. I also like working on amps and guitars. I'm building a hardtail strat this winter from parts I had left over from other projects and a body I got from a local music store, TNT Custom Guitars in K-Falls for $20.

SixStringJoe
January 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the fretters forum Johnny.

You've been playing guitar since you were 10 and yet you say you're not an expert in music. Okay, now you're being modest ;)

Ps. How come no one mentioned GAS to Johnny? :p

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Excellent. I had a law school classmate from K-Falls. Think she is back there still. Her family raised quarter horses out that way.

Janarm
January 11th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Greetings from Estonia,it's a very great forum ;)

tot_Ou_tard
January 11th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Been playing music since I was 9. I was playing trombone in the 4 grade orchestra but quit after a year and started guitar at 10. After 47 years I still play guitar, I hope better than I did trombone. I do my own repairs but I'm not a "Amp Tech", I have a real job and also play a few gigs now and then. Played in a lot of bands in my 20's and toured the west coast from San Diego to Vancouver BC in a country rock band. Now days I mostly play Jazz and old RR some Blues and R&B. I'm kind of a Jack of all trades. I own a small ranch in Oregon and built my own home, one dollar at a time, no bank loans no morgage, just hard labor, you want to know something, it was worth it because it's all mine.

I'm no expert on music, amps or much of anything but I may have some answers to specific questions and like to chat.

JZ
Just what we like around here. Real people with character! I wanna be a Jack of all trades too, but for now I'm a Deuce of No Talent.

Johnny Z
January 12th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Just what we like around here. Real people with character! I wanna be a Jack of all trades too, but for now I'm a Deuce of No Talent.

I don't buy that, I'm sure you have talent and skills you just need to develope them.

M29
January 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Welcome aboard Johnny Z,

Good to have you with us. I am interested in hearing more about your projects, awesome! I like messin with the inards and outards of guitars as well.

Keep on clampin, solderin, wirin, buffin, drillin and and and playin.....
M29