PDA

View Full Version : Not so newb

ShortBuSX
January 10th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Hey yall...Ive been here bout a month now, I really enjoy this forum, its pretty broad with lots of different guitar info. I guess Im so used to and comfortable using forums that I usually neglect to take the time to introduce myself...Hi, my name is Neal.

When I was a kid I was all into the 80s metal, I wasnt listening for long till I had to have a guitar...saved up bout $100 and bought a Palmer with one humbucker, that thing was pretty sweet! But I wasnt satisfied and a year later my parents saw how well I was taken to it and they purchased me an Ibenez Roadstar Deluxe and a Peavey Bandit 65...it wasnt long before I missed that humbucker...I was never happy with the tone out of that amp or that Ibenez, maybe it was the basswood, I dunno. I played till I graduated and pretty much dropped it, only picking it up ocassionally here and there over the last 15 years or so....BUT when I did play regularly, I had learned several finger and picking exercises as well as arpegios and some scales...so when ever I did pick it up I went right back to those exersizes, so even though I havent been playing Ive still got good habits as well as dexterity and havve pretty much mastered alternate picking.

Well being single, for my birthday I decided to buy myself a Squier Standard Telecaster(walnut stain)...Id always wanted a Tele ever since I learned who Jimmy Page was!!! I always drooled at the site of the "brown bomber". Id scored a Crate solid state model for $50 from a buddy I worked with about 5 years ago and a RP250 Digitech...the Tele sounded cool, but I found Im diggin more clean tones now days as opposed to the crunch and sustain of my childhood metal days...now favoring more blues tones.

With the Tele, I find myself wanting to do fingerpicking styles to draw out more TWANG, but all Ive ever practiced was alternate picking with Tortex picks...so Ive been online searching for help, instruction or even dirrection in learning fingerstyles...but now Im finding if I wanna learn fingerstyles or to draw out more twang that I kinda gotta learn country....and Im soooo not a country boy. And its so hard finding country tunes to learn if you dont listen to country....but I dig Chet! Tdpri has been helpful in my search for more twang.

Christmas was approaching and in anticipation of my Christmas bonus, I bought myself a Vox AD30VT after seeing ROBERTs video of him playing a Squier Standard...and saying to myself "thats the tone Ive been after!" I love this amp...Ive never had a tube before...or this many options. My bonus came and to my surprise it was more than twice what I had expected...but Im totally content with the AD30, I dont need anything bigger.

THEN, everybodys been modding those 51's and someone pointed out Overstocks deals and I spotted a Squier Strat HSS that I figured would make for a little better platform for me to start modding than the 51 and the price was compairable...so I told my Dad thats what I wanted this year(BTW Im 34) and he hooked me up. To my surprise the Strat needed some work, the humbucker wasnt wired right...and you guys here were very helpful in helping me figure it out. I fixed the minor issue, but now notice some hum...so next I plan on shielding and rewiring the Strat. Ive got several questions about doing this, and yall have been helpful, but I guess being a forum junkie, I keep posting under the same HSS topic I started(you know, toy follow through instead of starting multiple threads about pretty much the same thing)...but I guess I just figured out that the Squier section here isnt all that popular to frequent...but to my surprise alot of yall have Squiers too...which is cool, cause most people I know turn thier nose up at em cause they arent "Fender"s...whatever.

If you could help me with some wiring mods and questions about doing so...please check out my HSS topic (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=22362#post22362)

Oh yeah...and I still cant get a really great Strat tone out of this Vox...I got twang but no quack...any help there would be appreciated.

Thanks yall...and sorry for the long winded "hello" and for taking so long to introduce myself...thanks, yall rule!

warren0728
January 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM
:::not so new welcome:::

welcome ShortBuSX....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

ted s
January 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Welcome Neal, you driving or riding the shortbus ?

Spudman
January 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Hi. Thanks for the introduction.
Squiers are great if you get the right ones. I think I've got 7 of them. Keep on posting.

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Welcome! Thanks for your Squire posts. I am learning as I read your pursuits.

ShortBuSX
January 10th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Welcome! Thanks for your Squire posts. I am learning as I read your pursuits.

Seems alot of people have Squier's...but sadly it doesnt appea that anyone reads/posts there much *shrug*

But thanks! Im tryin to learn too...once I get moved into my new place I'll start taking some pics for posting;)

BTW, forgot to mention(in this thread) that the Tele and the Strat have the same walnut stain finish...cant wait to get them out of thier box/case and on the stands(another pic) so I can admire them side by side.

ShortBuSX
January 10th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Welcome Neal, you driving or riding the shortbus ?

I drive the ShortBuSX...its actually my screenname at Aeriostyle(forum) I just use it everywhere(forums) I go now *shrug*
The ShortBuSX (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/582899/1)

ted s
January 10th, 2007, 02:36 PM
That's pretty cool Neal.

ShortBuSX
January 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM
That's pretty cool Neal.

Thanks! Fits alot of gear too!!!

duhvoodooman
January 10th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Welcome, Neal. We're glad to have you here. Your car, too! :D

stingx
January 10th, 2007, 08:20 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/16.gif

Robert
January 10th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Welcome, glad you liked the gear you got!

ShortBuSX
January 10th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Welcome, glad you liked the gear you got!

Dude...YOU! totally sold me on the VOX!!! Seeing you play your Tele on yours...right then, HAD to have one! I had considered several other different small tube amps, tried every one I could get my hands on....but after seeing/hearing you on the VOX...bought it! Your videos, lessons, pages, sites and forums have been a major internet resource for me...thanks for being soooo active and helpful. Thank you for being you! You rule! The internet and consumers need more people like you!

And as others have said(or implied) in the past...VOX needs to hook you up!
And Squier too!!
Seriously

Janarm
January 11th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Welcome from another world of side!

tot_Ou_tard
January 11th, 2007, 08:27 AM
With the Tele, I find myself wanting to do fingerpicking styles to draw out more TWANG, but all Ive ever practiced was alternate picking with Tortex picks...so Ive been online searching for help, instruction or even dirrection in learning fingerstyles...but now Im finding if I wanna learn fingerstyles or to draw out more twang that I kinda gotta learn country....and Im soooo not a country boy. And its so hard finding country tunes to learn if you dont listen to country....but I dig Chet! Tdpri has been helpful in my search for more twang.
Thanks yall...and sorry for the long winded "hello" and for taking so long to introduce myself...thanks, yall rule!

I'm with you there. I love the Twang and fingerpickin', but cannot stand country music in general. There's something wrong when such a good and original basic tone is monopolized by bland mega-nothings.

ShortBuSX
January 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I'm with you there. I love the Twang and fingerpickin', but cannot stand country music in general. There's something wrong when such a good and original basic tone is monopolized by bland mega-nothings.

Yeah, but the licks are just sick!!! I gotta learn more finger styles! But I never know where to start...as I have no real knowledge of the music.

tot_Ou_tard
January 11th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah, but the licks are just sick!!! I gotta learn more finger styles! But I never know where to start...as I have no real knowledge of the music.
If you find out let me know. I'd love to play sick twangy licks too.

ShortBuSX
January 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM
If you find out let me know. I'd love to play sick twangy licks too.

Well I found this a couple of weeks ago...but Im still haven a hard time really feeling these licks without em soundin like somekinda rock, metal or blues riffs.
http://members.fortunecity.com/nrbq1/tab.html

Scroll down till you get to section "VI. Audio/Sound Wav Files " youll see Brett Mason...theres tons of stuff like what were trying to learn just below that.

Robert
January 12th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Wow, that's way cool for me to hear! :) Thanks so much for saying so.

I never expected so much "Vox fame" and "Squier fame", it's really crazy!

R

Dude...YOU! totally sold me on the VOX!!! Seeing you play your Tele on yours...right then, HAD to have one! I had considered several other different small tube amps, tried every one I could get my hands on....but after seeing/hearing you on the VOX...bought it! Your videos, lessons, pages, sites and forums have been a major internet resource for me...thanks for being soooo active and helpful. Thank you for being you! You rule! The internet and consumers need more people like you!

And as others have said(or implied) in the past...VOX needs to hook you up!
And Squier too!!
Seriously

sunvalleylaw
January 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Wow, that's way cool for me to hear! :) Thanks so much for saying so.

I never expected so much "Vox fame" and "Squier fame", it's really crazy!

R

Hey man, you really deserve it, for your playing and instruction, your info and reviews, and especially this place!

M29
January 18th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Welcome Neal, good to have you with us!

M29