PDA

View Full Version : Going new ways (maybe)

Jimi75
December 25th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Hey friends,

I catch myself more and more thinking of starting with a new challenge.
Over the years I fell more and more in love with classical music and the Opera.

This morning an idea flashed into my mind and it felt great:
"Learn to play the violine!"

I've been learning to read music with the Berklee College method and I feel safe in reading notes and rhythms.

My plan would be to eagerly practice and join an ensemble or amateur orchestra.

We'll move into a new house in the midst of 2017 and this would be a great starting point, considering my new music room.

What do you guys think? Of course I'll stay true to the guitar, but I have found my style and it feels like there's not much change in the air anymore...

guitartango
December 25th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Hey friends,

I catch myself more and more thinking of starting with a new challenge.
Over the years I fell more and more in love with classical music and the Opera.

This morning an idea flashed into my mind and it felt great:
"Learn to play the violine!"

I've been learning to read music with the Berklee College method and I feel safe in reading notes and rhythms.

My plan would be to eagerly practice and join an ensemble or amateur orchestra.

We'll move into a new house in the midst of 2017 and this would be a great starting point, considering my new music room.

What do you guys think? Of course I'll stay true to the guitar, but I have found my style and it feels like there's not much change in the air anymore...

The Violin is a lovely instrument in the right hands, but beginners seem to make it sound like a cat being stretched on a rack. You could of course start a group and call it ELO :thumbsup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjPqsDU0j2I

tjcurtin1
December 26th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Hey Jimi - good for you! Music has so many endlessly great possibilities for exploration and growth and personal satisfaction. I started out playing recorders and lute renaissance music, which I still love, too. Have a blast!

Funny story - when I told my recorder teacher that I was interested in the lute and asked how difficult that would be, he paused a moment and then said, "Well, it's not as hard as the violin...". As a talented strings guy, it should not be too much trouble for you!

Robert
December 26th, 2016, 12:33 PM
That's cool man! Jean-Luc Ponty has done some cool things that might inspire you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKkMvBvyqvE

marnold
December 27th, 2016, 12:19 PM
More power to you! I've toyed with going back and (re)learning to play the piano. I just don't think I have the time and money necessary to do it. To say nothing of patience . . .

Jipes
January 5th, 2017, 04:31 AM
I guess everyone needs new challenges to boost creativity and keep the interest high so why not, it might be quite frustrating at start because everything is so different hands position resting, techniques, no fret markers and probably the most hard to master is the Bow but hey nothing is easy in music anyway :thumbsup

Zip
March 13th, 2017, 05:12 PM
There's a guy I know named Mark, used to play with the TransSiberian Orchestra. Pretty good violinist. Makes some way cool violins, too.
You should check out his website at http://www.markwoodmusic.com/ for some inspiration. He's done some awesome Hendrix covers, too :)

Jimi75
March 14th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Interesting. I liked the Flying V violin:-))