PDA

View Full Version : Zendrive is coming...

Jimi75
February 12th, 2017, 01:27 PM
This one was very long time the no 1 on my wishlist. It's not the cheapest pedal, so I had to give some lessons to afford it.

Will make a video as soon as I have the time.

Someone here who can share some experiences?

duhvoodooman
February 12th, 2017, 09:27 PM
I built an exact circuit clone of the Zendrive a few years back, and I still use it regularly. The Zendrive circuit is a modified Tube Screamer with no input or output buffer, an asymmetric clipping stage, true bypass switching, a simplified tone control, and--it's major innovation, IMO--an added control called "voice". This latter is a very interesting feature since it allows you to roll on more available gain, but simultaneously rolls off bass response, which keeps it from getting too muddy sounding. Pretty ingenious and makes for a very flexible overdrive pedal. Given the relative simplicity of the circuit (see photo below), I'm shocked at what Lovepedal charges for one, but I guess that price inflation is inevitable when a good sounding pedal gets a big reputation.

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/build_binge/serendipity_gut.jpg

Robert
February 13th, 2017, 01:48 AM
I have a Zendrive type pedal that I like quite a bit. Tip - turned up the treble/tone quite a bit to get that Robben style tone.

Jimi75
February 13th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Thanks folks, lots of good information. Don't let us talk about the prices.
Looking forward to experimenting with the Voice poti - can't really imagine, how this will affect the tone...
Nr.1* Partnervermittlung für Akademiker & Singles mit Format ✓ Wir vermitteln http://www.datewelt.info/sex-kontakte/ (http://www.datewelt.info/sex-kontakte/) Singles mit hohem Bildungsniveau meiden Online-Partnervermittlungen

piebaldpython
February 13th, 2017, 09:40 AM
I have a Mad Professor Simble Overdrive---based on the Zendrive with a few alterations. As the others have stated, it's a great circuit and gets you into Dumble-esque territory.

Jimi75
February 19th, 2017, 05:47 AM
Arrived - tested - packed for resale again - not enough gain on tap - Soul Food is better, not as boxy sounding.
Over and out.

kidsmoke
February 20th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Arrived - tested - packed for resale again - not enough gain on tap - Soul Food is better, not as boxy sounding.
Over and out.

Now THAT is a product review! :AOK

duhvoodooman
February 20th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Sorry to hear that the Zendrive didn't meet your needs, Jimi. Yeah, it doesn't have tons of gain--it's a modified Tube Screamer, after all--but I'm kind of surprised that it didn't do the job even with your SG's humbuckers.

Jimi75
February 20th, 2017, 11:06 PM
Yeah I was surprised, too. The sound lost quite a bit of dimension was extremely boxy and lifeless. I am very picky these days, because I don't wanna break the incredible sound chain of the Two Rock and Vemuram - so talk: None of my pedals shall sound like a pedal ;-)

Robert
February 21st, 2017, 09:26 AM
Did you try turning up the treble a lot? That's what robben does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk