PDA

View Full Version : This is pretty cool & useful....

duhvoodooman
February 22nd, 2017, 09:17 PM
Here's an interactive video by the Reverb.com folks posted on YouTube that allows you to compare 13 different types of pickups with the same riffs being played through them into the same amp. You have your choice of bridge or neck pickup, played clean or dirty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL7DtrbWXbM

tjcurtin1
February 22nd, 2017, 10:30 PM
That was interesting - I was surprised by the fact that while there were lots of different 'flavors' the differences weren't as huge as I thought they would be. Maybe that's due to the fact that the amp eq setting was the same for all of them? I didn't really like the dirty sound for any of them.

marnold
February 23rd, 2017, 06:09 PM
I know I initially underestimated the effect that an amph has on guitar tone. My two guitars sound significantly different through my Jet City, but both have a fundamental Jet City hot-rodded Marshall thing to them.

duhvoodooman
February 23rd, 2017, 09:34 PM
I really like the sound of those Jazzmaster pickups, a type of guitar I've never owned. Finding this out is really not a good thing.... :thwap

Jimi75
February 24th, 2017, 12:54 AM
That is a very nice idea for a video. Unfortunately, the overdriven sound are no good to my ears. Could the OCD or the lack of eq-ing.

The guy playing could be the one doing the demos for Chicago Music Exchange.

tjcurtin1
February 24th, 2017, 02:19 PM
Now Vood, just pretend you didn't hear that... and stop going back to listen again!

duhvoodooman
February 25th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately, the overdriven sound are no good to my ears. Could the OCD or the lack of eq-ing.
Yeah, I agree the overdriven tones could be much improved. I suspect that the OCD is a big factor--I know that it's one of the most popular dirt boxes out there, but I've never been able to warm up to it. It's got kind of a ragged sounding edge to it that I just don't find attractive.

In any case, the clean stuff is what I really found interesting--where you could clearly hear the fundamental character of the pickups.