PDA

View Full Version : modelling and tone clip

helliott
April 24th, 2017, 02:58 PM
I have been wrestling with GarageBand 10 and losing, at east in terms of getting what I would call decent tones. Cleans are not bad but all the dirt is very harsh and papery sounding. No depth.

Not giving up but to give myself a break I decided to record some live amp stuff and am a little bit more pleased with the outcome. Recorded rhythm and lead through vocal mic channels, got all the effects from the front end. But speaking of modelling, this isn't just the amp. Using my Boss GT-100 as a pedalboard through a Mesa Transatlantic. Two mics, an old Audix in the gill of amp and an older Apex condenser mic further back for room sound stuff.

I think it's getting close to tube-ish but hard to say having heard it a bit. The drums and bass are GB10. Rhythm on a Strat, lead and slide on a PRS singlecut semi.

Give a listen if you like. Comments always welcome, especially about the guitar tones and tones overall. I know the ditty and playing aint nothing to write home about, but the sound is at least getting closer.

https://app.box.com/s/zjl67xq5l7kr7irzrnmnopkm0t097dbn

stingx
April 24th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Hey man, cool track! I like the sound of the Strat better and how it sounds sitting in the mix. I find the tone of the PRS less pleasing to my ears. Your playing is very good and the timing is tight. I gave up on mic'ing my amps a long time ago. More power too you for that. Nice overall track.

piebaldpython
April 24th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Helliott, been a long time since you posted your playing. Just LOVE this......nice and tight....really like the slide playing as you don't do a lot of long swoops, so it feels tighter. Very good micing. Just great.

helliott
April 24th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Hey man, cool track! I like the sound of the Strat better and how it sounds sitting in the mix. I find the tone of the PRS less pleasing to my ears. Your playing is very good and the timing is tight. I gave up on mic'ing my amps a long time ago. More power too you for that. Nice overall track.

Thanks, Stingx. I want to give up micing but cannot find the tones that allow that. Will keep chasing that. Did you think the PRS was to far up in the mix or just not like that tone? Just wonderin?

helliott
April 24th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Thanks, piebaldpython for taking the time to listen over these years. That's very kind. I agree about the long swoops, although to be honest I'd do it more if I could keep the intonation. As you can hear that's a struggle at the best of times.

tjcurtin1
April 25th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Nice track - heck, I'd sure be writing home if I could play like that! I don't know from recording, but it sounds good to me, with a nice room/ambient feel.

helliott
April 25th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Thanks TJ Curtain. I find getting decent tones at bedroom volumes a constant challenge. You?

tjcurtin1
April 26th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I've never quite figured out a satisfying OD sound at low volumes - fortunately for me, I prefer a clean tone most of the time.

Robert
May 3rd, 2017, 10:20 AM
One thing to try is to keep the volume on your guitar at 8 or 9. It takes away a bit of the harsh top end I always find in digital gear.