PDA

View Full Version : NAD - Boss Katana 100

stingx
September 5th, 2017, 02:57 PM
After hearing about these amps and reading through a 400 page thread on The Gear Page, I took a bite. I bought the 50 and was so hooked I returned it for the 100. Took advantage of a Labor Day sale at Sam Ash and traded my Laney Cub 12R for it. Sweetness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQEZrzlR5Jg&feature=youtu.be

Robert
September 6th, 2017, 07:21 AM
What do you like about it? I tried a small one and didn't get hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piebaldpython
September 6th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Hey Stingx.........seriously considering getting the Katana 100 combo or head. How does it take pedals? How is the CLEAN sound?

stingx
September 6th, 2017, 03:21 PM
What do you like about it? I tried a small one and didn't get hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Robert.

What I like about it is it isn't a modeler. It is made to emulate Class A/B power amp. Loaded with Boss DSP effects. I like the portability, the sound, and how I don't have to play around like back in the day with my Line 6 stuff. All tweaking and farting around instead of playing. To my ears these amps, as well as the Roland Blues Cube, sound fantastic. I can EASILY get a clean on the edge of breakup sound and can get close to that vintage EVH tone. All in one piece of hardware. Like anything else, your mileage will vary and different strokes for different folks. This amp has a HUGE following with guys that are into some seriously overpriced amps. The kind you take several mortgages out for. I go by my ears. I was curious about the buzz and then tried for myself. I didn't buy the first few times. I then heard some demos that made me rethink and I wasn't really using the Laney much and got a great trade on it so it was really not that difficult a decision.

stingx
September 6th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Hey Stingx.........seriously considering getting the Katana 100 combo or head. How does it take pedals? How is the CLEAN sound?

It's made for that. The 100s have FX loop so you can place FX the right way. I plan to use it with the GA-FC footswitch and built in Boss fx alone. I wanted tone + portability for gatherings and small halls.

stingx
September 6th, 2017, 03:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcndA6uzrII

Pure heaven, Robert!

Jimi75
September 7th, 2017, 01:29 AM
An amp is as good as it cut through in a band context. I think the Katana is a really cool amp, but does it cut?

stingx
September 7th, 2017, 04:15 AM
An amp is as good as it cut through in a band context. I think the Katana is a really cool amp, but does it cut?

All the 100 watt models cut like a knife. Here's an example of a live gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k9FhGhnyYI

Jimi75
September 7th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Sounds promising. Hope the crunch and distorted sounds cut as well ;-)

stingx
October 14th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Sounds promising. Hope the crunch and distorted sounds cut as well ;-)

You tell me, Jimi. Here's a short clip of the Katana recorded via USB into my Focusrite Scarlett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oIYwj2vkJ4

shupe13
January 12th, 2018, 07:28 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180113/dd5631f5b37c857e1a1a8e53ad509d52.jpg

I traded in two Telecasters toward the Goldtop the day after Christmas. It had been awhile since I had a Lester and I’ve GASed for a GT for 40 years. I had $400 left over so I just started trying out low watt tube amps and desktop amps. About 15 in all. I was hell bent on a VOX 4w to match my AC30CC2. I plugged into the Katana 100 and my search was over. The amp is amazing. I’m a tube guy through and through but they are heavy and are a pain in the *** a lot of the time.
You need to try one for yourself. Badass. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stingx
January 13th, 2018, 09:01 AM
We have the same guitar and amp! Enjoy them both!

shupe13
January 13th, 2018, 10:26 AM
We have the same guitar and amp! Enjoy them both!

I’m super happy with this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spudman
January 18th, 2018, 09:11 PM
I visited my friends music store over New Years and he said, "hey, come check this out." He sat me down in front of the 100 watt combo and handed me a Sterling Luke. Man! I just about lost track of time. The gain, volume, master volume controls on the amp are really interactive. I was having a ball getting all kinds of sounds from clean to crunch to touch feedback gain. I really loved it...especially when I cranked the master volume. Ya - it's 100 watts. It totally raged.

Well worth considering and priced well. I do think the 100 watt head would be the best option since the combo doesn't have a speaker out, and the head has a small speaker built in for practicing.

stingx
January 20th, 2018, 07:03 PM
I visited my friends music store over New Years and he said, "hey, come check this out." He sat me down in front of the 100 watt combo and handed me a Sterling Luke. Man! I just about lost track of time. The gain, volume, master volume controls on the amp are really interactive. I was having a ball getting all kinds of sounds from clean to crunch to touch feedback gain. I really loved it...especially when I cranked the master volume. Ya - it's 100 watts. It totally raged.

Well worth considering and priced well. I do think the 100 watt head would be the best option since the combo doesn't have a speaker out, and the head has a small speaker built in for practicing.

There appears to be an "Artist" series to be outted at NAMM. One of the amps was mistakening placed on Musican's Friend. Looks like front panel access, a few new knobs, and, possibly, bluetooth and built in wireless a la the new Katana Air. Going to watch this one very keenly. Love this amp.

helliott
February 26th, 2018, 06:30 PM
2399Well I did some research and have jumped on this bandwagon. Couple of things I wasn't using and a reasonable cost to start with. Really like the clean tones with a bit of crunch mixed in. For my purposes it's about simplicity and ease of use. Honestly the tones are awfully close to tubes. And the thing is LOUD. I can use the 0.5 watt setting for rehearsal with drums. 50 watt is loud enough that it's running at a quarter in small rooms. Can't imagine a room that would need 100 watt. Not about to retire the Lonestar but this is an awfully nice option for small rooms. Onboard effects suffice for me ... Four channel presets is all I need. Clean, semi, lead and slide. I know real tube lovers will always be devoted, as I am to a point. But when you hear how much tones have improved, you can see a day when tubes may be a pleasant anachronism.

marnold
February 27th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Not that I'm in the market (very happy with my Jet City, thank you), but I'd like to try one of these with my Jackson, especially to see how higher gain models work. I've always been content with clean stuff, but it's wear we get ripping where things tend to fall down. I've heard very good things about this little amph, though.

stingx
March 1st, 2018, 09:45 AM
I do think the 100 watt head would be the best option since the combo doesn't have a speaker out, and the head has a small speaker built in for practicing.

I agree with the 100w head being the way to go. I love my 100w 112 and I had my friend install a speaker out on it. Actually two mods now.

Jeffbeck
May 5th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Late to this party, but I recently acquired the 100w 112 combo and it's a beast. Straight from the amp panel you've got so many options and great tones available, and once you decide to deep dive into Tone Studio the sky is the limit. I couldn't be happier with it. Got a nice tube amp gathering dust now - and sold my old Mustang III because I just don't need it anymore.

helliott
May 6th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Good to hear from another convert. Thing is amazing, especially for the price. I am finding the best tones with the channel volume dimed and using the master for output. I think the effects are fine but was missing some favourite tones .... Barbershop OD and diamond compressor specifically. So pedalboard is back. And this amp does cut. Small rooms .05 setting is fine. 50 for bigger rooms. 100 not called for yet. Still would not trade my main tube amp, but for club work this amp's convenience and close-to-the-mark tone is fab.

stingx
May 10th, 2018, 05:53 AM
I've added a couple of useful mods to my 100 watt combo:

- incorporated a speaker out
- semi enclosed the back of the cab very similar to the Marshall DSL40C.

I have covered and stored my three other amps up in the attic as I just haven't touched them since buying the Katana.

stingx
May 10th, 2018, 06:14 AM
So much tone hidden inside this amp. This guy sells presets but I prefer to tweak my own settings. Still, this is an amazing showcase of tone for the amp...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YNIaPYgWn4&feature=youtu.be