PDA

View Full Version : 8 or 16 ohms ?

ted s
January 11th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I'll be building my cab. soon for my VJ head. As the head will drive 4, 8 or 16 ohm loads, and I am going to pair it up with 2 Celestions.. I can go either 4 or 16. I have no idea what my deciding factor should be. :confused:

Thanks guys.

Ted

Plank_Spanker
January 13th, 2007, 08:39 AM
As long as the impedance matches, it shouldn't make a difference in sound. Why are your choices only 4 or 16 ohms?

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Why are your choices only 4 or 16 ohms?

I assume he's looking at wiring two 8 ohm Celestions in either series (16 ohms) or parallel (4 ohms)

Ted, if that Celestion model is available in a 16 ohm version, you could get to 8 ohms by wiring two of them in parallel. But the way you're looking at doing it seems to make more sense, since you could wire in a switch to change back and forth between 4 and 16 ohms, depending upon what kind of amp you're connecting to.

ted s
January 13th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys, the speakers are 8 ohms a piece, I guess I'll go par. for 4 ohm's. Going to drive it with the VJ head. Just picked up my cab from a family friend carpenter, he's a little slow right now, took him MAYBE 2 hours working slow to build it. He did a great job. I just have to cover it but first I'll have to try it out. Pics will come later.

ted s
January 13th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Here's a couple quick pics. Still have to cover and grill it. Will bolt the speakers in from the back at that time. It honks big time. :D :R

ted s
January 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM
one more................... His name is Bill, I put an aluminum name plate on the back.

warren0728
January 13th, 2007, 03:55 PM
cool ted...do you plan on using it vertically or horizontally....i wonder what the sound difference would be....

ww

ted s
January 13th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I'm pretty flexible with that Warren, If I use is Horiz. it can double as a freakin coffee table. It takes up a bit of real estate. ;)

warren0728
January 13th, 2007, 04:06 PM
It takes up a bit of real estate.
yeah that is exactly what i'm thinking....i would like to get an external cab but think it would fit the room better as a vertical...i have heard that it will sound different depending on which way it is used...makes sense....it seems everyone uses cabs horizontally....wonder if it loses something when used vertically....

ww

oldguy
January 17th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Hey, Ted! You get to crank that cab yet? How 'bout some clips?
Does the V.Jr. drive those 2-12's OK? It doesn't sound like peeing in a hurricane or a V-8 hitting on only 5, does it? :D
Just kidding, Ted. Seriously, though, crank that puppy up LOUD and post us some clips. I was really surprised how loud the V Jr. got through 2 Celestions.

ted s
January 17th, 2007, 07:33 AM
:D
It's pretty darn loud !, it starts to break up at about 3-4 oclock. Certainly no fear of killing the speakers. I think it sounds good. Rattles the windows and vibrates the hardwood floors. Drives my wife and cats over the edge .. :p
Definitely running on all eight with no pee in the pool. I don't have any means to mic. it but will post when I do. Amazing what that little 5 watter can do.
I think my cat is sleeping inside.