PDA

View Full Version : Oh god! I’ve played 2 True Historic Les Pauls!

Jimi75
December 29th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Hey friends,

I was quite convinced that all of this was hype...True Historics, Collectors Choice...
But what I experienced yesterday was shaking the pillars of my musical mind. Honestly, I’ve never in my life made such an experience with guitars. These are expensive beasts, but I will sell some guitars to buy one of these in 2018.

Here are two vids I captured in the store.

https://youtu.be/z2bdGEWJzAI

https://youtu.be/f-7vYe4isuI

Robert
December 29th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Nice! Sounds awesome. Wouldn't mind having one.

tjcurtin1
December 29th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Sound great, Jimi, I would agree - I like the sound of the 58 myself. I see that it is on sale TODAY at Musician's Friend for ONLY $5899.00! (discount of $2560.00). Yikes!

helliott
December 29th, 2017, 10:21 PM
Sounds great, but most things would played In pro hands. Amp gain only? And 6 grand US.? What's that EU?

Jimi75
December 30th, 2017, 02:38 AM
The 58 is 6499 €, the 59 is 4999 €. Quite some amounts, he?!? I’ll have to see if the new CD brings in some dough...Actually, I’m positive about raising the money, but we’ll see...

Robert
December 31st, 2017, 10:28 AM
6499 Euro equals
7797.83 US Dollar

Jimi75
January 25th, 2018, 08:50 AM
I did it!!!!!!!!
Just bought the True Historic 1958. Exactly the guitar I’ve played in the video.
Sold some stuff and asked the shop for an immense price drop as it was the last TH around. Being a good customer they fit the price to my exact budget.

This instrument is so outstanding - still can’t believe how lucky I am. My son said that this guitar waited for me! True and Historic.

Good quality vids will follow. Am kinda emotionally exhausted now in a positive way. This was a new experience go hunting for a guitar as expensive as a small car ;-)

tjcurtin1
January 25th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Ah, yes - the exhilaration of the hunt! Now you know how a cave man felt after catching a mastodon! ;) Congrats - it sure sounded glorious in your first video, and a player like you deserves such a guitar and will fully put it to it's intended purpose!

piebaldpython
January 25th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Congrats on your TH 58. You are quite the talented slinger, so we eagerly await CLIPS.......or it didn't happen. lolol

marnold
January 25th, 2018, 09:31 PM
so we eagerly await CLIPS.......or it didn't happen. lolol

My thoughts exactly :poke

Jimi75
January 26th, 2018, 06:39 AM
Thanks friends! Woke up this morning, pinched myself - and there she still was.
Breathtaking instrument. Suffering from the flu at the moment, I only gave her short test drive at home. But the video will follow. Promised!

Jipes
January 27th, 2018, 06:25 AM
Great buy Jimi, I hope it will bring you so much joy and will to record better songs.

As for myself I'm still convinced that this price are way too high for whatever fantastic sound they offer but this is due to my blues background where you can hear Hound Dog Taylor getting the craziest sound ot ouf a cheap japanese guitar :thumbsup

Jimi75
January 27th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Great buy Jimi, I hope it will bring you so much joy and will to record better songs.

As for myself I'm still convinced that this price are way too high for whatever fantastic sound they offer but this is due to my blues background where you can hear Hound Dog Taylor getting the craziest sound ot ouf a cheap japanese guitar :thumbsup

READ THIS!
Thanks Jipes! Here's the little story that made me buy this guitar:
First of all - I don't care if an instrument is inexpensive. My main guitar - until the end of my days - is my Jimmie Vaughan Strat that I bought back in Deutschmark-days for the price of 800 DM, which equals 400 Euro, which is around 500 USD. Why is this my main guitar? Well, it inspires me every time I pick it up. Every turn of the potis, every time I restring it....recentyl unblocked the trem after almost 20 years...it unleashed super creative potential along with the trem arm.

See, I was bored by some of my guitars, although these are great instruments.
So I started checking the local guitar builders. I wanted a Les Paul, because I have the best Strat in the world already - no kidding. Some of the builders were a big disappointment to me.
Some were inpolite, had their own buidling philosophie that they tried to indoctrinate to me. Some of them were just impolite and tried to pushe me with placing the order. So I started looking around for a vintage Les Paul - the market and especially the sellers are horrible.

They lied about headstock repairs, refins, weight, etc. Especially one vintage dealer invited me and confirmed in advance a certain fix cash minimum price for my 76 Strat. He had a nice Les Paul from 71...when I arrived at his location he said he did confirm 500 Euro less than I understood - I had a written confirmation (e-mail) - he denied. I've made professional photos, demos, etc. so he knew exactly what he was going to buy.

See, it's a long story. All I want to say is that I always try to support the local builders and dealers, but sometimes I have my own pride and don't wanna be held for stupid!

Actually, the 58 was out of scope, original price 6,5k USD! So after having saved up a nice budget, I wasn't under pressure with buying a guitar. I drove to that same store where I played the 58 and shot the videos.
They were supposed to have the last dark vintage burst 58 True Historic. This was exactly the colour I wanted - no compromise - not for that kind of invest. Arrived at the store and asked for the guitar...the guy could only find the case to that guitar and said the guitar is not in the warehouse...but it must have been somewehre, right?!

So I strived through the Custom Shop department when I saw that this lovely 58 I've played was still there...stopped dreaming when I sat the price tag again.
However, the guitar I've seen online had a certain serial number which was to be found under the spec information.

Don't know how or why, but my instinct told me to turn around the expensive 58 and look at the serial number.
THERE IT WAS! The exact serial number that was mentioned online. My heart started rushing. I asked the guy if this is the guitar and he said - well yes it's this guitar - we identitfy all guitars by serial number not by article number!
"If the online price is (5k), you will of course get it for the price." It felt like winning the lottery!

As I mentioned in the firts post - I've never experienced an instrument touching me that much, since 1998 when I bought my Jimmie Vaughan. From there on, it was no question - it had to be this guitar.
If it was 599 Euros and had the same effect. well it would have been the same experience! You guys know me for more than 10 years now - I'm a normal guy with a bug heart for music and family and some 30+ gigs and studio work!

Of course it felt kinda strange buying such an expensive guitar, BUT it was all my own budget, no family money, it was a great chance to diminish the collection to the essence.
Having played this beauty for the first time today at home (had a flu...), it's all I was looking for in a Les Paul guitar - so warm, so transparent, it's incredible, but definitely something you have to feel that video and audio won't represent in it's fullness.

Hopefully, my move is a little more comprehensive now :-)

tjcurtin1
January 27th, 2018, 11:38 AM
I think like you say, Jimi, the bottom line is when you find a guitar that feels like that to very experienced hands and sensibilities like yours, then there is something special going on there. It wouldn't happen in the same way for someone like me, at my level of playing. it's great that it was attainable for you at this point and not completely just out of reach - you would have been pining for it for the rest of your life! Happy playing!

marnold
January 27th, 2018, 11:48 AM
While I am definitely in agreement with Jipes, I'm also glad you found a guitar that speaks to you. You are talented enough and play enough where it could potentially be justified. I'm not and I don't. I will say that I restrung my Jackson and '51 yesterday so hopefully I can fix the "play enough" part.

tjcurtin1
January 27th, 2018, 03:20 PM
I am also reminded of an article in Premier Guitar a while back, pointing out that guitarists are quite lucky that the cost of a top professional level instrument is really very low, compared to say, a violinist, pianist or harpist, to name a few. Those instruments can cost as much as a house and take a career to pay for!

Robert
January 28th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Congrats! You made the right choice. I’m getting closer to pull the trigger on a Collings myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimi75
January 28th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Congrats! You made the right choice. I’m getting closer to pull the trigger on a Collings myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rob! Played a Collings once and it was also a „life changing“ instrument.
I am currently uploading a video...finally ;-)