PDA

View Full Version : Question for tech or other wise guitarslingers

alanfc
January 12th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I 'm at this point again where I usually put the Carvin away and pull out the Strat again..... I came back to the Carvin last week after deciding once again that the Strat neck width was too narrow and was bugging me. The Carvin flat radius and 24 frets are the best thing for me now.

But the bending - just the 2 fret bends on the high E, oddly enough this is what usually gets me. Even stranger this bend is harder at the high frets compared to the lower frets (I thought it would be the opposite?)
This is when I usually put it away.

Question is: is the flat radius responsible ?

Everything about the Carvin is better and I'm playing better with more space on the wider neck. I'm happy. Maybe I need incorporate slide/grace note for this one bend I'm obsessed about. The action is at 5/64 on that high E string .

Question 2: I haven't check the relief yet but could this be a factor? If its too dead straight, could more relief help this.

thanks

alanfc
January 12th, 2007, 03:15 PM
OK thanks guys I'm done, the Carvin's goin to Goodwill.
:D

just kidding
I'm home on lunch hour. I've fixed it. I realize that I had some unrealistic string heights, especially when I picked up the Strat and Carvin and played the same things back and forth. The main prob. was with the 15th fret and up. The B string on the Carvin was going under my bending finger. Very annoying. The Strat didn't do that. (maybe because the action was about an inch high ALAN- duh).
I must be so used to the high action.
Now the Carvin has the action right, and with the wide flat board and 2798572 frets and neck-thru- :)

this is done. My Carvin is a super guitar. (1993/1994 DC 127)
this is me moments ago with the super guitar:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/alanfc/P1010077.jpg

on to intonation tonite

Spudman
January 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM
So what did you do? Adjust the truss rod? Lower the bridge?

That's a nice machine. A friend let me play his one time at this outdoor concert. I was used to playing Strats and when I picked up his Carvin I kept over augmenting my notes because I was so used to fighting the Strat. Sweet guitar to play that Carvin. And...look who has hair. Dude, you put us all to shame.

alanfc
January 12th, 2007, 06:13 PM
ha ha :)

the solution was raising the action at the saddles ...pretty obvious I know. But I was resisting because I liked the idea of low action. Even though I'd never had it on any other guitars before. So I went from Strat to Carvin back& forth and roughly imitated the Strat's action on the Carvin. Its still lower than the Strat- but me being more of a bender/yanker than a speedy gonzales I realized low action is stupid for me.
(Wilkinson trem-blocked, with Graphtech saddles) And I just put the .011's back on and this thing is perfect now.

snarph
January 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM
the higher the string off the fret board the less tension at standard tuning so the bends are not quite as tight but there is a lot of difference in a strat and a Carvin neck one off carvins big sells points was always the hight off the string off the fret board but thats not always good for every thing pertaining to guitars

alanfc
January 14th, 2007, 03:56 PM
S................ And...look who has hair. Dude, you put us all to shame.

I would gladly give up this hair for a new wife if I could :(

Spudman
January 14th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I would gladly give up this hair for a new wife if I could :(

Why would you want that kind of trouble? Oh, because they foster song ideas. Hmmm, I didn't think of that initially.:D

Wives are easy, good people require patience and are much harder to find. You actually have it pretty good living in a highly populated area. You should try that problem in Idaho. The sheep start lookin mighty nice after a few dates with the 5 available psychos here. :eek: And they are ultimately faithful.;)

alanfc
January 14th, 2007, 08:35 PM
..................The sheep start lookin mighty nice after a few dates with the 5 available psychos here. :eek: And they are ultimately faithful.;)

OK thanks :eek:

carp3nt3r
January 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM
..um. ah... uh. hmm nevermind. carp3nt3r.

alanfc
January 22nd, 2007, 06:07 PM
I put the Carvin away again ..
Can't get used to that super slim back on that neck...

Back to this ! Except its got a fullsize HB in the bridge now. Angled like the SC.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/alanfc/whtdone.jpg

I had a feeling this would happen again. Atleast I didn't go out and buy something ! Already had the Carvin in-house.
I =might= look into flatter radius neck replacement for this one. We'll see.