PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Origin Amphs

marnold
March 8th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Just saw this video on Andertons. Man, if I were in the market for an amph, I'd be all over the 20 watt head in a heartbeat. Has that classic vintage Marshall vibe to me. Apparently these were just announced at NAMM.

Hft3B6D1Gj4

piebaldpython
March 8th, 2018, 12:09 PM
I feel your GAS Marnold......haha. Personally, lately I tend to favor Foundation type pedals. Pedals that give one a certain amp-style sound w/o having to buy a whole new amp. Tech 21 Sansamps, Catalinbread Foundation Pedals, Joyo Foundation pedals, Xotic SL Drive (Super Lead/Super Bass) and the Barber Compact Direct Drive.

Amp wise, all that I want or need is a CLEAN amp. Have no need for a DIRTY channel, that's what one has pedals for.

marnold
March 8th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Amp wise, all that I want or need is a CLEAN amp. Have no need for a DIRTY channel, that's what one has pedals for.

Generally (at least with guitar) I am in the opposite camp. I much prefer my dirt to come from the amph itself. That's why I really like my Jet City. However, I do with it had more clean headroom. It has virtually none on its own.

There was a time when I struggled to understand why so many people prefer to do things the way you do. Now that I've gotten older and listened to more guitarists talk, I totally get it now. I could even see myself getting a very clean amph, but I'd need some super dirty pedals :)

piebaldpython
March 8th, 2018, 10:02 PM
Generally (at least with guitar) I am in the opposite camp. I much prefer my dirt to come from the amph itself. That's why I really like my Jet City. However, I do with it had more clean headroom. It has virtually none on its own.

There was a time when I struggled to understand why so many people prefer to do things the way you do. Now that I've gotten older and listened to more guitarists talk, I totally get it now. I could even see myself getting a very clean amph, but I'd need some super dirty pedals :)

IMHO, one can do SO much better getting their "dirt" or "coloring" from a pedal than from an amp. All of those knobs and toggles on a pedal are just to get the pedal to do a couple of things. Much easier to "set" a pedal for a certain sound and the only thing you have to do is stomp on a switch. If one ran all of that off the amp controls, you'd be staring at the amp forever.

Jimi75
March 9th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Honestly, I’m not too impressed with it. 10’ speakers in the 20w version are an excluding feature.
Further, Marshalls can never be a clean platform - this is a law not to be discussed ;-) No really, I personally would always love to have that smokey and angry Marshall tone in an amp made by Marshall.

marnold
March 9th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Honestly, I’m not too impressed with it. 10’ speakers in the 20w version are an excluding feature.

I totally get that. Too often to my ears combos sound boxy just because of their size. I'd rather go with the head version.

Further, Marshalls can never be a clean platform - this is a law not to be discussed ;-) No really, I personally would always love to have that smokey and angry Marshall tone in an amp made by Marshall.

Well, I can't argue with that too much, but it also can't be denied that classic Marshalls have some very nice clean tones. Having said that, if you have a Marshall, you really need to set it to 11.

Robert
March 9th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Yeah I saw it at NAMM.

Looks pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpMZ40cfk8k