PDA

View Full Version : Using Aeolian or Dorian over A minor?

Robert
March 24th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Which of these two modes is the correct one to use over a static A Minor chord?

Find out here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQX08OLk6OM

marnold
March 24th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Before watching the video, I'd say: unless you are using a chord voicing that includes the 6th for some reason, either would work.

After watching the video: I was right :)

Santana must use the Dorian a bunch because it seemed like I was hearing hints of him when you were playing that mode.

Robert
March 24th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Yes yes! I hinted at Santana just for giggles. Glad you noticed. He uses Dorian A LOT. It's a nice sound for sure.

Also, the I minor chord to IV major chord is extremely common in several styles of music. Like Am to D7 for example. In those situations, you'd use Dorian.

tjcurtin1
March 24th, 2018, 09:08 PM
Beautiful sounds using those modes, Robert - I can see that modes will be the next nut for me to crack after arpeggios...

The beard looks great on you, by the way!

Jimi75
March 25th, 2018, 01:07 AM
Here’s one big mistake people often make. Yes, they learn an internalize the sound of a certain mode, but they are only able to noodle to a backing track. It’s crucial to also learn the chords of a mode and then try to compose something of your own that you can relate to that you understand and that can use in a composing context. This is where the magic begins - maybe not for aeolian as most guys know aeolian, Ionian and dorian, but the rest has some nice twists - just ask people like Sting...he knows about lydian verses very well..