PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stones *NEW* CD - "Rarities"

Nelskie
December 27th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Music has gone through some pretty drastic changes in the past (40) years or so. From rock-a-billy to folk, from psychedelia to heavy metal, from punk to disco, from glam metal to grunge, bands and music are continually evolving. Like a musical carousel that never stops. Every once in a while, it's nice to know that you can get off of that merry-go-round, and settle into something more comfortable, more familiar. You know what I'm talking about. That wonderful feeling of a slow smile spreading across your face as those first enticing chords melt slowly into your ears. Yes indeed, some of the finer things do stay the same. For over forty years, the Rolling Stones have contributed a staggering amount of legendary material to the rock and roll pantheon, all the while staying true to their one of primary musical influences - the blues. In the case of their latest CD "Rarities", the familiar comes in the form of the band showcasing these blues roots through seldom-heard and previously unreleased material, much of which is live - an even more impressive undertaking.

For the casual Stones listener, "Rarities" offers a glimpse into the diverse musical platforms employed by one of rock n' roll's all-time greatest outfits. From blues-drenched covers of "Mannish Boy" and "I Just Wanna Make Love To You", to the dance-funk inspired "Miss You", to straight-ahead rockers like "Live With Me" (from 1969's "Let It Bleed" album), "Rarities" covers a gamut of Stones material in fine fashion. Die-hard fans, on the other hand, will really enjoy the CD's lean towards traditional blues sound, as it hearkens back to some of the band's early, club-playing days.

In listening to "Rarities", I came to the realization of another very important fact. That is, the sheer volume of material released by the Stones often detracts fans and listeners from the finer points of their music. Their arrangements, while seemingly sparse, allow their songs to "breathe". In other words, when Keith and Mick harmonize, you can hear them harmonize. When Woody slides a tasty fill on top of one of Keith's groovin' rhythm lines, you can feel their connection. Likewise, the backdrops to many of the the songs included on this collection are interjected with a sassy sax (say that fast seven times!), or a jukey piano - never once does any of it seem lost in the shuffle. By design? Absolutely. The great bands make it seem so effortless.

Another thing that impresses me about the Stones is the "authenticity" of their sound. Whether playing blues, rock, shuffle, pop, or ballads, the Stones always find a way to weave a little of their trademark "mojo" into each song - i.e. that cocky, English swagger that made them one of the very first "bad boy" rock bands way back in the day. Give a listen to the raucous, live cover of Muddy Waters' "Mannish Boy", and you'll know what I mean. Mick's snarling vocal and gritty harp; Keith's raspy, almost transe-like rhythm line; Woody's stinging steel slide fills; Charley & Bill's dark, methodical back beat. Yeah - the stuff of legends. Most inspiring of all, however, is the band's ability to play together as an effective, coherent unit. Face it - there aren't many bands that can just get down and groove like the Rolling Stones.

If I haven't done enough to convince you to go out an buy this CD, maybe I'll mention a bit about the guitar work. As one would expect, it's absolutely dripping with vintage guitar tone. With a majority of the songs being cut live, one is literally face-to-face with Keith's killer tone - a vintage Tele being driven through a pair of low vin # Fender Twins. Woodys' sound is equally amazing, especially when he gets busy with the slide on one of his vintage Strats. Hearing these two legendary players "weaving" their way through a classic Willie Dixon blues number, well that's something that quite simply defies description. You have to hear it to understand it. And if you're a guitar player, trust me . . . you will.

Robert
December 28th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Ahh, that is one heck of a review! Thanks Nelskie!
I love Keith's tone - it's so pleasant to listen to. Sounds like a great album.

Guitar-Chris
December 28th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Even though most of their songs seem to be not so difficult: Try to play them with your band and you know how excellent the guitar work is. Every single note is like a puzzle. An when i play it, I don't find the right piece.

I like the "a bigger bang" cd very much and now I think I have lo listen to "Rarities" :cool:

Nelskie
December 28th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Chris - Your observation about the Stones music being like a "puzzle" is very astute, and one that relates directly back to the point I made about the cohesiveness of their playing. Truly, every vocal line, every note, every chord, every piece of the Stones' song arrangements has an intended purpose. Using this principle, the Stones probably get more mileage out of their sound than any other band in the long, storied history of rock n' roll has. They write with purpose, and are extremely inventive with their musical arrangements. This, in turn, allows each instrument / voice to really express their individual part of the song, and thus impart that "uncluttered", yet definitive Stones sound.