PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Tele but...

Jason_Hegel
May 5th, 2018, 09:17 PM
Hey all,

I had been playing bass for the last few years and decided I needed to shift back to guitar. My interests being punk, surf, rockabilly, psychobilly, metal and blues I decided to compare Gretsch electromatics and Fender MIM Telecasters. I know that these are very different guitars in a lot of ways but they also crossover a lot of the same space I am wanting to cover. So, I spent a couple of days playing many of each and ended up leaving with an FSR Ash MIM Tele that was a screaming deal at $579. I do really like it but find myself gazing longingly on the interwebz and YouTube at Gretschs which makes me wonder if I made the wrong call.

I am by no means an advanced or even intermediate player and would like to defer to the knowledge and experience in this forum. Any thoughts on which of these might actually fit my needs better?

I think I’m pretty well set for an amp. Bought a Boss Katana 50 that has built in delay and reverb so I can at least get the tone that I’m looking for or fake it at any rate. However, if I bought the wrong amp- by all means call me out on it.

Thanks in advance!:thumbsup

duhvoodooman
May 6th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Sounds to me like you're all set for awhile. Teles are the "meat & potatoes" of electric guitars--everything you really need and nothing superfluous. If you find you really enjoy playing guitar and progressing with your skills, then additional guitars (and amps, and pedals, and....) will come in time. The Katana 50 is an excellent amp to pair with it, too. So stop second guessing yourself and enjoy what sounds like a great rig!

helliott
May 6th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Voodoo nailed it. In terms of flexibility and simplicity ... To allow you to focus on playing not fiddling ... You can't go wrong with a decent tele. I keep a 12-year-old Baja tele in my closest circle. Planning on downsizing soon, but that guitar stays in my hands.

Jason_Hegel
May 6th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Thanks gentlemen. Talked me down. Was near to hauling the tele back to the store and getting something else. Second guessing myself when what I really need to do is explore what this guitar and amp can do for me as far as different tones.

Thanks again for the feedback and help. Cheers!:thumbsup

Jipes
May 7th, 2018, 08:46 AM
If I can I will add that for a MIM, 580 bucks is slightly expensive I would rather buy a used instrument specially MIJ I bet you can actually find one for this prize. Actually the Classic Player series are pretty good intrument

duhvoodooman
May 7th, 2018, 10:43 AM
If I can I will add that for a MIM, 580 bucks is slightly expensive....
For a standard MIM Tele, I would agree, but for the FSR Ash model, I think $580 is a very good price. They normally go for $700 for a new one.

Jason_Hegel
May 7th, 2018, 11:14 AM
For a standard MIM Tele, I would agree, but for the FSR Ash model, I think $580 is a very good price. They normally go for $700 for a new one.

Yep. That’s the guitar and deal that I got.

marnold
May 7th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Got some bad news: there will always be GAS. There will always be some new guitar to chase. I've finally gotten to the point where GAS has abated somewhat but then I page through Premier Guitar or something and then . . .

Jason_Hegel
May 7th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Got some bad news: there will always be GAS. There will always be some new guitar to chase. I've finally gotten to the point where GAS has abated somewhat but then I page through Premier Guitar or something and then . . .
Haha.
I have heard of it before and mentioned to my wife that this is probably what is going on more than anything. Pretty bad to have GAS before I’ve even broke my new guitar in!

duhvoodooman
May 7th, 2018, 02:18 PM
Haha.
I have heard of it before and mentioned to my wife that this is probably what is going on more than anything. Pretty bad to have GAS before I’ve even broke my new guitar in!
Beware!! Or THIS (http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/mouseover_image_select.html) could happen to you, too! :thwap

tjcurtin1
May 8th, 2018, 08:18 PM
As a long-ago member of the Fret once said, "GAS never sleeps"! Speaking if GAS, how do you like the 72 reissue Tele, Vood? Did you add the Bigsby? Do you know how much it weighs?

Jason_Hegel
May 8th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Oh Lawd have mercy!

duhvoodooman
May 9th, 2018, 10:56 AM
....how do you like the 72 reissue Tele, Vood? Did you add the Bigsby? Do you know how much it weighs?
Love it! Full story is here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/22055

I've had the guitar for over 3 years now. It's a regular part of my church praise band guitar rotation. The Curtis Novak wide-range humbuckers in this guitar give a nice middle ground between single coils and traditional humbuckers--fatter and higher output than the former, but more top end and string definition than the latter. The Bigsby certainly adds some weight, but I don't find the guitar to be excessively heavy. The fact that it's a Thinline certainly helps to compensate for all that extra metal.

stingx
May 10th, 2018, 08:09 AM
I grabbed a mint, used FSR Strat for $350 @ GC two weeks ago. Couldn't resist...

Jason_Hegel
May 10th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Nice!

stingx
May 10th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Having any Katana amp is a plus. :AOK