PDA

View Full Version : Huge tonal change with amp tipped back

tjcurtin1
June 13th, 2018, 08:28 PM
OK, I have to imagine that everyone else knows this, but then again, I've never read anything about it...

Was trying to get a better tone out of the Super Champ XD - just wasn't satisfying, and not like video demos I'v heard. Was thinking of changing the speaker... then had the thought to move it off of the chest that it sits on. In the process I tipped it back against the wall - and I thought that I had a new amp! IT was NOT a SUBTLE change! It gave it a completely different sound - more open, cleaner and brighter. NOW it sounds like I always wished that it would.

SO - is this about the particular speaker beaming certain frequencies in a funneled kind of way (it's a Jensesn C12Q)? Or is this why people mike different areas of the speaker to 'grab' a particular sound that emanated from that part of the speaker?

piebaldpython
June 14th, 2018, 03:03 PM
You're on the right path. A bit more complicated than that. It's why many players have their amps off the floor, because the rug or stage can "eat up" your sound.

Read this, might help some.......https://www.mudstand.com/howitworks/

tjcurtin1
June 14th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Thanks, Pie - makes me realize that my amp is also sitting on an empty wooden chest...

marnold
June 14th, 2018, 10:37 PM
A number of bass amphs have their cabinets constructed in such a way that they can be set up traditionally or tipped back. I've got both my amphs on chairs for that very reason.

tjcurtin1
June 15th, 2018, 07:42 PM
On a chair - now there's a great idea!

marnold
June 16th, 2018, 11:47 AM
On a chair - now there's a great idea!

Yep and we had some old chairs that had been wicker on the seat with a wooden frame. The wicker gave out so my wife replaced the seat with a piece of jean-covered plywood. Awful to sit on, but they worked great for strapping my kids' high chairs to when they needed that. They're all well past that age and the chairs were taken out of storage. What they lack in comfort they make up in amph-holding-up-ability.