PDA

View Full Version : NGD - another red Strat

tjcurtin1
July 21st, 2018, 07:47 PM
Really wanted to try another Strat after selling my Squier CV a while back. There are so many great players who get terrific sounds with them, of course, but I wanted the warmer end as opposed to the very glassy, almost metallic sound that the single coils can have. Seemed to me that the MIM strats had more of that warmth (the ceramic pups, I imagine). I decided to keep an eye out for a beat-up MIM with a $200 price tag. Within 2 weeks, I saw this pristine 1999 in midnight wine on Craig's List for...$200! I love it - sounds great, comfortable to play.

https://i.imgur.com/zes9iABh.jpg

marnold
July 21st, 2018, 08:46 PM
Awesome deal! I would have gotten it in a heartbeat. I really like the new MIMs that Fender just came out with too.

tjcurtin1
July 22nd, 2018, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I couldn't believe my luck when I saw the post - ran up to Boston the next day to get it before it was gone... I agree - the new MIM's look really nice - Alnico pups now instead of ceramic, tho I like the ceramics in this one.

duhvoodooman
July 22nd, 2018, 09:02 PM
Sweet deal! :thumbsup

Jipes
July 23rd, 2018, 01:30 AM
Great Deal wish you a tons of good times ! I start to feel the itch of GAS for a Vox AC C1

stingx
July 23rd, 2018, 04:35 AM
I start to feel the itch of GAS for a Vox AC C1

GAS is an itch you can't quite scratch...

tjcurtin1
July 23rd, 2018, 09:31 PM
Great Deal wish you a tons of good times ! I start to feel the itch of GAS for a Vox AC C1

Joyo makes a pedal for that, too...;)

https://i.imgur.com/8NAxLNE.jpg

Jipes
July 25th, 2018, 07:29 AM
:thumbsup

tjcurtin1
July 25th, 2018, 09:41 PM
GAS is an itch you can't quite scratch...

Well, you can scratch it and it seems gone... for a while..... seems it's an itch that you can't get rid of... "GAS never sleeps" as one member here used to say!

Tig
July 26th, 2018, 11:18 AM
That is a steal! HNGD! :dude

Robert
August 25th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Congrats on a new axe! Hope it brings you sweet tones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjcurtin1
August 26th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Robert - it plays so nicely, and sounds great with the Joyo pedal - as do all of my guitars and the amp! First pedal I've found that really does so much to shape the sound in ways that fit my taste. Playing with the 'voice' pot and the 'gain' just gives a wealth of tonal variation.

I really like the neck on this strat, very sleek and comfortable, satin finish which I like better than the gloss. The body resonates nicely so it feels lively unplugged. As I noted, it has a warm-ish strat tone, which I like.There is an internal vibration with B and B flat notes anywhere on the neck that you can hear/feel unplugged, which seems to be connected to the middle pickup (if I press on it the vibration stops) - I'll take off the pickguard at some point to see if there is something loose in there. All in all, it feels like a gift that fell in my lap!

piebaldpython
August 26th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Kirk Lorange's Red Strat Blues........played on a Red Strat.........duh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh3orNb2n5s

tjcurtin1
August 26th, 2018, 08:10 PM
Wow, what an interesting player - unusual tone and phrasing creating an awesome and unique sound. Thanks, Pie, for that link!