PDA

View Full Version : This is how a Classic 30 is supposed to sound

stingx
January 14th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I made this rough recording right after re-tubing with JJs from Eurotubes. If you remember, I decided to go with an early breakup so one of the preamp tubes (closest to the power tubes) is hotter than the other two.

I used my Schecter PT to record this with cuz I love the GFS Boutique FAT PAFs I installed into it. This is all PT into the Classic 30, no effects. The only time I goofed is at the very end where I used a seperate track and accidentally hit the chorus pedal so it sounds a little weird. This was recorded by mic'ing the amp with a Shure Beta57a direct into my Zoom MRS-8.

Here's the link: http://www.box.net/public/52thjtaxlv

sunvalleylaw
January 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM
As always Sting, your playing is excellent and very nice to listen to. I like what you have done to your C-30. If you have time, could you post a clip with your JV similar to your first, clean, C-30 clip in your appreciation thread so I can hear the effect through a guitar a little like mine? I appreciate you sharing the results of your mods! And, its a Neil tune! :DR :DR :DR

Spudman
January 14th, 2007, 09:52 AM
That has to be through the dirty channel?

Sounds nice and ballsy.

F_BSurfer
January 14th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Real nice stingx can't wait till that brown truck drops off my gfs fats tomorrow

stingx
January 14th, 2007, 10:34 AM
That has to be through the dirty channel?

Sounds nice and ballsy.

Correctamundo! Thanks, Spudman. I got the exact tone I wanted just from describing it over the phone. Amazing.

stingx
January 14th, 2007, 10:38 AM
As always Sting, your playing is excellent and very nice to listen to. I like what you have done to your C-30. If you have time, could you post a clip with your JV similar to your first, clean, C-30 clip in your appreciation thread so I can hear the effect through a guitar a little like mine? I appreciate you sharing the results of your mods! And, its a Neil tune! :DR :DR :DR

If I get time tomorrow I can do that. You have to keep in mind that my JV uses Tex-Mex pups and they are hotter than pickups on a typical strat. I can get a pretty cool hi-gain tone from them with the C30 cranked...almost humbuckerish. If I use a treble booster it really goes over the top. I prefer to use the clean channel with the Strat and the TS9 to get the bluesy tones ala SRV, etc.

t_ross33
January 14th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Luv it! Luv Neil Young! He's a Prairie Boy at heart, what can I say :cool:

This sounds so very tastey, I think I'm gonna try to learn some Cinnamon Girl! (Also gives my some inspiration to start recording, maybe even with vocals :eek: )

Very good. Very good indeed.

KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD!

Trev

sunvalleylaw
January 14th, 2007, 11:07 AM
If I get time tomorrow I can do that. You have to keep in mind that my JV uses Tex-Mex pups and they are hotter than pickups on a typical strat. I can get a pretty cool hi-gain tone from them with the C30 cranked...almost humbuckerish. If I use a treble booster it really goes over the top. I prefer to use the clean channel with the Strat and the TS9 to get the bluesy tones ala SRV, etc.

My 60th has tex mex pups also, one reason I love listening to your stuff. I think I recall the JV bridge may be a bit different. I have really been enjoying the clean channel myself when I am playing.

stingx
January 14th, 2007, 11:31 AM
My 60th has tex mex pups also, one reason I love listening to your stuff. I think I recall the JV bridge may be a bit different. I have really been enjoying the clean channel myself when I am playing.

Oh...that puts a whole new paintjob on things. I'll post something when I free up time later.

Justaguyin_nc
January 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Great tone sting.... turn up the vocals a bit for me..good voice! as far as the neil young song you picked... sweeeeeet...