PDA

View Full Version : This website is closing...

Robert
July 12th, 2019, 03:07 PM
Hi guys, I will close this website in the next few days. If enough people are interested in keeping it up, I may be able to do that. However, the activity on this site is minimal, at best, and I am not convinced keeping it alive is worth it.

Feel free to let me know your thoughts!

marnold
July 12th, 2019, 10:23 PM
While I feel bad because of the great memories I have here, I think I have to agree with you. There's not many of us around here.

The word 'amph" will live forever.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

duhvoodooman
July 13th, 2019, 08:34 AM
Seems like it's time. TheFret has had a good run, but participation has slowed to a trickle in the past couple of years. Many thanks to you, Robert, for keeping it running as long as you have.

tjcurtin1
July 13th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Aarrgghhh... I get it given the circumstances, but am sad all the same - this is the only guitar site that I visit, and have hung on because of the camaraderie of the folks here. Kind of like saying goodbye to friends you probably won't have contact with anymore. Special thanks to Robert, and the many of you who contributed so much and especially those who have hung in so long - Vood, Marnold, Jipes, Sunvalley Steve, Tig, Jimi, Stingx, Pie, helliott, Spudman, Brian Krashpad...... and many others.

Again, many thanks, Robert, and a fond farewell to the Fretters. Best wishes to all -

Ted

Robert
July 13th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Well, I am going to try and keep it alive if possible. I need to move it to a different server and if it works there, it will be back up again. Eventually. :)

Bloozcat
July 13th, 2019, 06:25 PM
When I received Robert's email that he was closing this site I was very saddened. As I already expressed to Robert I bear some responsibility for his decision as I haven't been around for quite some time. Ironically, I'm now retired and was looking forward to re-connecting with the music world and this site in particular. I think it's more than just a strange coincidence that as I was thinking of re-connecting with this community I received news of its impending demise.
If you're successful in resurrecting TheFret.net in another incarnation, Robert, I promise that I will support it once again.
I hope I'm not too late...

hubberjub
July 14th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Sorry to hear. I haven't posted in a while, but this was the main guitar forum I participated in, way before I signed up for TGP (which has become awful due to certain moderators and their hypocritical practices). I still have my very road-worn Duhvoodooman Tight Squeeze compressor. Everyone who tries it loves the thing. Thank you for all of the time you've put into this project, Robert.
Patrick

Rx Tone
July 14th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Well, hell..I am one of those who drifted off and forgot about the place ....until I got the email.
Damn...I used to really enjoy the site. I remember a lot of those names mentioned. Spent a lot of good hours here. Dunno how it got put on the back burner but FWIW I haven't participated in ANY forums for several years. Life, I guess...
Wishing everyone the best and thanks for having a great site.

Jipes
July 15th, 2019, 03:53 AM
As many have already stated I'm sad but I guess it doesn't make too much sense to keep it running for such a very limited exchanges Facebook has killed already dozens of Forums ( I am a regular member of 4 forums and admin in one of them): I guess that's the evolution hard to do anything against that

Robert
July 18th, 2019, 11:44 AM
I moved it to a new server! Is it working?

SuperSwede
July 18th, 2019, 11:47 AM
Working fine!

tjcurtin1
July 18th, 2019, 06:43 PM
Hey! A resurrection! Thanks, Robert - feels good to know that the Fret is still available - along with all the remaining Fretters!

tjcurtin1
July 18th, 2019, 06:45 PM
Might be good to do another email informing folks - I almost didn't come back to look; was just about to remove the shortcut and clicked on it for old-time's sake and was surprised (pleasantly!) to see the page open.

marnold
July 19th, 2019, 08:34 PM
I moved it to a new server! Is it working?

Seems to be working for me! Hopefully we can have some more activity here.

Good to see so many folks posting in here!

seanpr11
July 19th, 2019, 08:46 PM
I'm basically a lurker....but saddened as well.

Bloozcat
July 21st, 2019, 04:47 PM
Thank you Robert! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Jipes
July 22nd, 2019, 06:40 AM
Working fine for me :thumbsup

stingx
July 22nd, 2019, 06:22 PM
I finally closed my last forum up. It wasn't costing a lot just that no one was really using it. Keep it going as long as you can for as long as it is active, Robert. This is one of the first guitar forums I joined when I got back into music many years ago. I pop in from time to time but not always active - two children will do that to you.

Keep on keeping on, Robert! You run a great board.