PDA

View Full Version : Good thing I'm a packrat

alanfc
January 15th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Because I never got rid of my Boss BD-2 (Blues Driver) !! :DR

I've got a few more solos in our newer tunes lately and I used to just get by with attitude and =I-don't-know-what=. But at last practice I realized that during solos the drummer gets all excited and gets way loud. I don't mind this. But now I need to bring back a solo boost pedal. I 'd always used one before in every band I'd been in except this one.
So of course I put it behind my OD pedal (the Maxon OD-9, up front) and OF COURSE, there's no Volume boost, just more rahhhhhh shhhhhhhh and compression. I know why this is.
So I go back to my old way, no pedals upfront, amp overdrive only (Love those old E.German RFT's) and try my Bad monkey, my Maxon, and ye old BD-2 in the FX LOOP for a solo boost like I always used to do. It sounds a bit compressed& slightly mushy but the audience don't know eh?

So the Maxon, OK volume boost, tons of compression... the B MOnkey, mucho compression, weak volume boost. THe BD-2 !! Shazam. Turn the gain off, level at only +2, and the tone at about +3...of the three this was the most palatable. It was the old way I used to do it dang I was so smart then ! The thing still has the old white-out pen marks for the right level. Man this BD-2 has some wicked volume level on tap.
:R
I'm a pakrat with pickups too but thats another happy rant for another day.
(oh yeahh baby back with my SD Custom Custom)
:D

Spudman
January 15th, 2007, 08:18 AM
And, if you are interested in making it even more of a tone machine check out the Indyguitarist do it yourself modifications. Listen to the sound clips.
A very inexpensive way to get a custom BD2.
http://www.indyguitarist.com/mods.htm

alanfc
January 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM
And, if you are interested in making it even more of a tone machine check out the Indyguitarist do it yourself modifications. Listen to the sound clips.
A very inexpensive way to get a custom BD2.
http://www.indyguitarist.com/mods.htm

Thanks...yes thats right I forgot!
I've learned all about this guy on other forums. I'll see how it works next practice and see if I'm more picky about the tone this time around....
Also cheaper than a Keeley mod and I don't have to send it away !
I change pickups all the time so hopefully the skills to do the INDY mod aren't too over my head.

F_BSurfer
January 15th, 2007, 07:26 PM
My modded BD-2 is by far the best pedal I have ever used great db boost without robbing guitar tone
This is the mod I have done
http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html#BD2H2O
Haven't had it in long know enough to say it takes a fair pedal and makes it great
good mp3 on this site with the mod

Tone2TheBone
January 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Hey Spud, ever mod that BD I traded you?

Spudman
January 15th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Hey Spud, ever mod that BD I traded you?

Soon. I can hardly stand it the way that it is. Boy did you get the better end of that deal. But I'm not worried because I know when I see you you'll make up for it in beer.:DR That's rock n roll.