PDA

View Full Version : ngd ... relatively

helliott
February 22nd, 2020, 03:44 PM
Hasn't been much new here lately so...

I have started winnowing the herd, moving some guitars out and replacing two or more I don't need with one I really must have ... that sort of thing. With the band done seems a good idea to get leaner.

Got this American performer tele a while back. Always wanted a tele with a good humbucker and this is it. Great instrument, does all you would want a tele to do and the bucker actually handles Santana style sounds. That's what I call versatile. The middle and bridge positions are rock solid -- as good as my Baja Tele. But the thick neck sound is value add. Neck is medium C, very comfy. Weight is modest. And the colour is sheer vanity ... always wanted a seafoam green guitar.

Try to add some pix although there are lots online much better. Also a clip. Starts with a slightly overdriven sound and moves around through the various options, ending with cleaner stuff.

and the sound clip

https://app.box.com/s/qa20eois0mdolv6wlsd7qu9jyjfr4pac

marnold
February 23rd, 2020, 02:06 PM
Gotta love a nice Tele! Congrats!

tjcurtin1
February 23rd, 2020, 10:54 PM
Hi Helliott - I missed the news of the end of your band. Sorry to hear it - from things you had posted it sounded like you had a good group together. Will you pursue other possibilities?

Although I have conquered the GAS (I know it is dangerous to say that out loud...) the only guitar left that I occasionally think about is a 70's Tele thinline with humbuckers. I love the look and feel of a tele, but don't connect with the country-twangy side of the sound (mainly the bridge pup). I like what I'm hearing here - is it all the bucker?

Jipes
February 24th, 2020, 08:39 AM
Hi Helliott - I missed the news of the end of your band. Sorry to hear it - from things you had posted it sounded like you had a good group together. Will you pursue other possibilities?

Although I have conquered the GAS (I know it is dangerous to say that out loud...) the only guitar left that I occasionally think about is a 70's Tele thinline with humbuckers. I love the look and feel of a tele, but don't connect with the country-twangy side of the sound (mainly the bridge pup). I like what I'm hearing here - is it all the bucker?

Not trying to reactivate your latent GAS :rollover but I own two Thinline Custom one with Wide Range humbuckers and one with Lollar Imperial humbuckers and bot of them are extremly good with less of this twangy sound that you don't like

helliott
February 24th, 2020, 07:29 PM
Thanks fellas. TJ, it us not all bucker, it is a mix of pups. When I go bridge I tend to roll off tone to cut the ice pickiness. As for the band, I miss it in some ways but not others. Finding the 10 to 2 shows pretty tough at my advanced age. We had a real good run of pretty much 10 years. Kinda like an old car ... Just slowly ran out of momentum. No adversity or theatrics, just enough. Not sure what is next. Focusing on trying to keep my limited skills from deteriorating further. Making a study of learning the line 6 helix, which could take a long time but is worth it. Appreciate your asking. Hope you're playing and gigging is going well.

duhvoodooman
February 25th, 2020, 07:52 PM
Nice Tele, sweet color!! Release your inner Keef! :rockon:

It took several years before I finally got into Teles.....and now I have 9 of 'em! :rolleyes: :thwap

helliott
February 25th, 2020, 09:40 PM
I had obligatory teles for years. But it was only when I got a baja tele that I started to really enjoy it and see what I had been missing. This latest one is the best yet, although I will not part with that baja, either.

tjcurtin1
February 26th, 2020, 08:43 PM
Thanks for nothing, Jipes :socool...! Yes, I like your tone on the record and videos... so I stopped listening to them (just joking...:D)

Jipes
February 27th, 2020, 02:34 AM
:rollover:rollover:rockya